Filter design for thermocouples

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon_12

Hi all

I want to design a 2nd order low pass active filter circuit for thermocouples , can anyone has a design of this which you have already tried and works well with thermocouples? What resistor and capacitor values you used?

I have studied the NI tutorials for signal conditioning of thermocouples.It is written that the frequency of thermocouple signal is near about 4 Hz. What is the cutoff frequency that you set ?

Please send me the circuit or a link of this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The "frequency" of a thermocouple signal???
Thermocouples are not AC devices, purely DC and millivolts at that.
Are you familiar with the Seebek affect concerning dissimilar metals? The closest thing to AC in a thermocouple signal that you might see would be if a measured temperature is fluctuating with some regular frequency.

Having said that, any variety of noise could be introduced to a thermocouple signal. This is especially true in an industrial environment with significant electromagnetic fields from machinery, motors, transformers, etc.

A lot of your noise filtering approach is dependent on the associated circuits. For instance, a recent poster asked about common-mode rejection in an amplifier circuit for an EKG design. I suggested using a common mode choke to help filter noise that would be present at the amplifier inputs. A thermocouple would typically be using a similar differential amplifier circuit. So a similar noise rejection technique might work here. Also, a simple capacitor to ground from the (+) input of your amplifier, maybe 100 uF, would help eliminate noise at or near mains frequencies.

Can you expand further on the 4 Hz frequency that you have read about? Are you confusing EMI with thermocouple behavior?

The rate of change of a thermocouple (time constant) has to be several seconds, especially when considering the thermal mass of what the thermocouple is attached to. A LPF with a cut-off of 1Hz or so is entirely appropriate.

Download TI's free Filter-Pro cad program and cobble up an active LPF and try it...

Last edited:
Thanks Mike for the software

But if anyone has tried the low pass filter for thermocouples practically. Please send me the circuit or any link in which values of R and C are mentioned.

What could be simpler. Put it between the instrumentation amp and the ADC input.

Another example from free software from MicroChip

Attachments

• ChLPF.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 819
  • ChLPFa.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 574
  • ChLPFb.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Hi

Which topology of low pass filters do you think is suitable for filtering of thermocouples? either Sallen-Key topology or Multiple feedback topology.

Hi

Which topology of low pass filters do you think is suitable for filtering of thermocouples? either Sallen-Key topology or Multiple feedback topology.
For your application either would be fine. The differences are subtle. For a discussion of these see Design and Dimensioning of Active Filters.

Since the Sallen-Key uses an op amp with a gain of 1, an emitter-follower or source-follower transistor can be substituted for the op amp (with some loss in filter performance) if you want to avoid op amps.

Cool implementation of a three-pole filter using only one opamp...

Keep in mind that an emitter follower introduces ≈0.6 - 0.7 volts of offset, which changes about 2mV per degree C.

Keep in mind that an emitter follower introduces ≈0.6 - 0.7 volts of offset, which changes about 2mV per degree C.
Good observation. I forgot that he was filtering a thermocouple signal and DC offset level is critical.

Hi Mike

Please tell me what is the meaning of Seed Resistor Value in the Filter pro V2.0 software and how can i select the desired Op-amps?

Hi Mike

Please tell me what is the meaning of Seed Resistor Value in the Filter pro V2.0 software and how can i select the desired Op-amps?
From the help file:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…