Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filter capacitor for relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakk33

Hello all,

So I've made a circuit that actuates a solenoid using a relay. The relay is getting a 5V signal from a microcontroller. I've been advised to add some capacitors to filter out any noise for the signal on the relay. Does anyone have any input on what I should be looking for in terms of capacitance and how I should add the capacitor in the circuit (in series with the signal, or in parallel across the relay?)

Attached is a drawing of the circuit.

Attachments

• SolenoidCircuit.jpg
    SolenoidCircuit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
Add a flyback diode across the relay coil, the same as you have with the solenoid.

Capacitors would be a good idea near the relay connections, from 5V to the 0V that the drive transistors connects to, and across the 24V supply for the solenoid.

A flyback diode is usually fine for this as Rj said.
However you could do it with a RC across the coil, the R would be chosen so that the current through it is the same as the relay coil. and the C is chosen so that it stores most of the energy as the relay coil does, then the kickback energy from the relay is damped, you see this a bit in industry on AC coils, obviously a diode cannot be used on AC.

Hello all,

So I've made a circuit that actuates a solenoid using a relay. The relay is getting a 5V signal from a microcontroller. I've been advised to add some capacitors to filter out any noise for the signal on the relay. Does anyone have any input on what I should be looking for in terms of capacitance and how I should add the capacitor in the circuit (in series with the signal, or in parallel across the relay?)

Attached is a drawing of the circuit.

o_OThe JCZ-11F relay is a 12V relay according to the datasheet. It won't work with 5V to its coil.:confused:

eT

Attachments

• JZC-11F-05VDC-1Z EN.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back