Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FET ratings needed for CRT monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

berniedd

I'm trying to fix a friend's dead MX705 17-inch CRT monitor. It's made by Top Victory Electronics (Chinese) but Hewlett Packard badged. I found and replaced a shorted Horizontal Output Transistor. The green LED at the front panel now glows on powering up but I don't get high voltage nor the static discharge from the CRT front face. Connecting a working computer to the VGA input, I measure only 60 volts instead of the normat 200 volts at the HOT collector. It comes from a boost circuit from the low voltage chopper that powers the flyback. There is a large inductor in series with the rectified output from the low voltage chopper transformer. Beyond this inductor there is a power FET whose source lead goes to ground (drain lead connects to the inductor).Then we have a big diode that goes to the flyback primary. The boost voltage comes from the kickback of this inductor that's turned on/off by the FET, The FET gate is excited by what appears to be a lead coming from a long IC near the yoke connector pins. I can't see the IC marks because it is covered by a protective metal plate. I replaced all 3 large filter electrolytics along the boost pathway but still no dice. I now know the flyback's OK as I got high voltage from it when I had it tested externally with a FBT tester. I'm beginning to suspect the FET is open circuit but I'm having difficulty getting an exact replacement. The marks on the IC are as follows: D8N*25 GK13Y VW CHN502 (where * looks like a Z that's printed backwards). I can't get anything about it off alldatasheet.com nor datasheet4u.com. There's no listing for anything even remotely near those letters/numbers. What type replacement or rating should I use? Thanks for the help extended, guys.

By the way, I scoped the the output of the horizontal driver. After connecting a working computer to the monitor's input, I saw at the output lead of the horiz driver transformer a 31,250 hz 5 volt signal that looked like a rectified sine wave without the negative excursions. I also checked and found the HOT snubber diodes and capacitor to be OK.

Unless you're doing this purely for educational purposes I wouldn't bother.

You can pickk up a working CRT monitor for nothing.

Loads of people are throwing away their old CRT screens and buying TFT screens.

berniedd said:
IThe marks on the IC are as follows: D8N*25 GK13Y VW CHN502 (where * looks like a Z that's printed backwards).

I'm 99% certain that it is a 8N25, a N-CH MOSFET of 250V 8A rating.

You can look up the electrical characteristic using "8N25" in Alldatasheets.com.

Good luck to your repair. It is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back