Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fav tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Groves

I just spent a couple of hours in the workshop progressing one of my projects and realised when i reach for a tool it tends to be the same one each time, i use the same screw driver, the same meter, the same pair of pliers, the same pair of cutters etc where possible, then i thought about me at breakfast time, i eat the same breakfast each day, and i use the same bowl each day......my fav bowl. :D

My point is that i think i'm a creature of habit, anyone else find they do the same things, the same way time after time?

Neil.

This is human nature.

The only thing I think I can say to this is; embrace it.
That screw driver obviously works well, you know what to expect of it when you know that you need to use it, the same with the meter, the pliers, cutters or any other tool for that matter.

The only problem you could ever encounter with this kind of thinking is forgetting that the tool that you don't have right now might be a better one for the job, and keeping abreast of what kinds of tools that might help. You know what works, what else might work better?

There is nothing wrong with being a creature of habit, I'm sure you're more proficient with what you have and are comfortable with it than possibly some 'experts' with more 'sophisticated' tools.

You've already noticed that you're becoming a creature of habit, just never let it become a solid grind of doing the same thing over and over again, especially if it doesn't work. Your tool habits should change over time, although more slowly with increased time I would think.

I'm in my mid 30's and I'm still just warming up to what works for me even on a basic level.

Over the decades, you'll find the Pareto principle applies to so many things... I started my tool collection many decades ago and, according to my wife, I've got a lot of tools (but who ever has enough?). However, 10% of them do 90% of the work -- and, just like you, I return to the same tool over and over to do the same task. Thus, knowing what I know now, I could have saved many thousands of dollars in tool expenses over the years, as I could borrow or rent those things I use infrequently. Instead, I regard those expenses as educational expenses. :)

And good tools last. For example, I have a pair of thread calipers that I've been using since the early 60's. They belonged to my grandfather and he qualified as a machinist around 1910. They are marked "A. Stevens A & T Co." and from information I found on the web, they were probably made before Starrett acquired the Fay patents for these types of calipers in 1887. So my grandfather probably bought them used because they were made before he was born. I showed these calipers to my youngest daughter the other day and told her they were well over 100 years old and still working fine. They'll get passed on to descendants (hopefully with the story intact).

I think it goes beyond using the tools as they do the job, i know it's psychological but i just feel happier when i pick up that yellow wire stripper or those red handled strippers.....lol

weird huh!

Neil.

squishy36 said:
I could have saved many thousands of dollars in tool expenses over the years, as I could borrow or rent those things I use infrequently. Instead, I regard those expenses as educational expenses.

If you have the tool at hand, you're more likely to find a use for it. So, your 'education expense' is well justified.

I have a pair of thread calipers that I've been using since the early 60's. They belonged to my grandfather and he qualified as a machinist around 1910.

That's more than a tool. It's a family hierloom.

A family heirloom and a valuable antique....best put it in a glass case and use something more modern ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back