Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fastest Possible serial comms with a PIC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueteeth

Hi, I'm still in the middle of my wireless audio project and I just wondered what people think the fastest async comms rate is for the PIC. I don't just mean the UART or SPI, just if anyone has written a program that allows two PIC micros to communicate.

At the moment I've got a simplex (data flows one way) setup between two 16F84A's with a datarate around 800kbs, enough for reasonable quality audio, but not much room for error checking such as CRC's.

Hope to hear your opinions.. :idea:

Blueteeth

A simple 8 bit bus with two handshaking lines should be able to run well into the MHz. It takes a fair number of pins but will be able to transfer MBytes/s. The software overhead should be minimal just reads or writes to a port and togling a pin.

A lot of Micros let you run their UARTS faster than standard RS232 rates. I've seen some that alllow you to run them at Mbits/s. Take a look at your data sheet to see what the limit on the UART is.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back