Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake e-tech accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow it actually works!

I think the admin should do something about this!

I'm Hero999 by the way.

EDIT:

This account has been here since 2006 and has 34 posts!

It's also got negative rep!

Not surprising, since any old tool can spam the forum with it.

Nice one Krums for highlighting this abuse.

Guess you're going through the list Hero?

Tried the first three and had no success... keep up the good work. :)

I only managed to log into the first three and I've randomised all their passwords!

Nigel,
Can you please still ban them anyway?

They could easily be reactivated.

IP banning everyone who's used the offending accounts (apart from me :D) might also be a good idea.

I tried two, and didn't get in. Yay!
Mind you, that's probably because Hero999 had got there first. **respect**

Last edited:
Just been overloadin this tosser's site and got:
"This site has temporarily exceeded its connection limit. Please try again in a few minutes."

:D

Oh, I WILL try again! :)

Weird chat names.

A day or two ago we had a person logged into chat with the name "(brooks)". Since we can not use /nick to change the displayed name it was not that. The characters ( and ) are not allowed in names.

She/he/it did not post anything.

Shortly after that a user named katz logged on but her name showed up as "*katz*". That was stranged too but she joined chat and seemed to be ok.

A day or two ago we had a person logged into chat with the name "(brooks)". Since we can not use /nick to change the displayed name it was not that. The characters ( and ) are not allowed in names.

Shortly after that a user named katz logged on but her name showed up as "*katz*". That was stranged too but she joined chat and seemed to be ok.

This is the sort of thing that prompted me to make this unanswered post.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/chat-user-name.92365/

That same (brook) is logged into the chat again, i have tried to talk to him but he didn't respond. I am thinking it's a troll or bot.

Some might argue that it's perfectly legitimate to use one of these accounts as you don't have to provide any personal information.

Which would be a valid argument, however you can use a proxy mail server (like mailinator.com) if you want, and an anonymizer to hide your IP address if you want. Browsing of the forums requires no registration, and to have no account control for a forum of this size would be impossible. The spam flood if it were completly open would render it useless inside a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back