Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

External ( / portable), Hard drive broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrouskid

Please could some help help me, i have had a 150GB WD hard drive not for 2 months and had no problems with it, i brought it to school to give someone a video and it was working fine. Then as the light indicator was flashing to show it was working my friend pulled it out as a joke but now it is not recognised by a computer, i have tried restarting the computer, playing with the connection but is still not working.
I am sure he has broken the disc inside but does anyone know how to fix it

Another thing is the pins on the had drive to the cable, one is bent down but has been working fine and i have not noticed it until today after it stopped working, Can you please tell me if this will affect it or would just pulling it out have affected it.

It is unlikely you broke the disk. If a pin in broken on the attachment cable, that could very well affect operation.

You say it was working before, but you really don't know whether that pin was bent before.

So, try to fix the pin. If that doesn't work, you may consider opening the case, removing the hard drive that is inside, and installing that drive in a computer in the conventional way.

John

It is unlikely you broke the disk. If a pin in broken on the attachment cable, that could very well affect operation.

You say it was working before, but you really don't know whether that pin was bent before.

So, try to fix the pin. If that doesn't work, you may consider opening the case, removing the hard drive that is inside, and installing that drive in a computer in the conventional way.

John

Thanks but he did not pull out the bit with the pins the but that connects to the computer so that end wasnt affected
As soon as it was pulled out it went straight bck in and the top end didnt really move.

If it was on a windoze xp platform at the time (i dunno nutting 'bout vistah):eek:

Then you probably got the MBR messed up.

Lots of free software to fix it out there but you may still have to "install conventionally" as you were already told.

Whatever you do, DON'T FORMAT!!!

i think you nee to check the pin of power and data cable if any pin are one is bent down try to fix it. if it's ok try to go to bios menu (press delete button) and try to looking your harddisk is detect or not if your computer not detect the drive you may need to check the cable again or to measure try with other cable.
im sorry my english is bad :)
may be you can give any picture ???

Make him buy you a new harddrive cause he's an ass for doing something like that.

Last edited:
He doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.

I would avoind hanging around with people like that if I were you.

Have you tried Knoppix , a live Linux CD which can be useful for restoring disks and retrieving files Winblows won't touch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back