Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet through powerline

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerRenegade

Hi, I'm currently a senior in highschool, and my counselor approached me today saying that I needed a Senior Seminar project. All together I have about 60 hours to complete this project, and I am allowed to use whatever resource I deem necessary. On to the project: I want to build two (2) Ethernet through powerline adapters. Basically, they're two adapters which can transmit and receive the ethernet signal through the electrical wiring of the house. I have two questions about my project

1) Can I complete in it 60 hours?

2) What supplies will I be needing?

I spoke with a couple engineers on campus about it, and they said that I should use a RF modulator on both sides and program two PICS to send and receive the signal.

Opinions?

X10 is no way near the data rate of ethernet.
I am actually surprized that your eng teacher would not advise you against such a project as pumping ethernet speeds across standard AC wire would be quite a challenge.

High speed data passed over mains wiring is a seriously flawed concept.

The mains wiring is not of constant defined impedance, leading to reflections from stubs and imperfect terminations.
Mains wiring is not a neat twin-twisted pair or twin-line feeder and as a result radiates RF noise all over the HF spectrum thus interfering with radio communications.

Truely a ******* technology which should not be allowed to spread.

JimB

Basically, they're two adapters which can transmit and receive the ethernet signal through the electrical wiring of the house.
Can you use the telephone wiring in the house? Most houses only have one phone line and you could tap into the 2nd line that is wired on the same cable and jacks. Or use an ADSL type method on the active phone line.
For high speed data you need twisted pair which the telephone line is but the power line isn't.

Can you use the telephone wiring in the house? Most houses only have one phone line and you could tap into the 2nd line that is wired on the same cable and jacks. Or use an ADSL type method on the active phone line.
For high speed data you need twisted pair which the telephone line is but the power line isn't.

That probably would not go over well with his Telco.

It would be OK if he used the 2nd pair in the wiring if it wasn't connected to anything outside the house. For ADSL over the pair in use, he'd have to isolate the house from the CO with ADSL filters. But yes, the Telco wouldn't like the 2nd option if they found out.
I don't see why anyone would attempt Ethernet over AC wiring when wireless routers and network cards are available.

X10 is no way near the data rate of ethernet.
I am actually surprized that your eng teacher would not advise you against such a project as pumping ethernet speeds across standard AC wire would be quite a challenge.

That's a good, and to my shame, a very obvious point. I didn't even think about the speed limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back