Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR Meter Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also been waiting for the results of the pdf procedures.
The testing must be systematic or it's not possible to help.
A response like "no good as before" is not specific enough.

I have checked the trackes and all of the transistors and replaced 27pf caps and now I have the problem where the meter right hand display and decimal led lights up when I push the switch but will not stay on.
Can you advise me what to try next.
@Gregory,
Please try to upload a scanned copy of the entire article, in case your ESR meter is NOT MK2.

The Mk2 user manual may not exactly speak regarding MK1 as the software is modded, though hardware is same.

The esr meter is a mk 1
Is the method of fault finding different,
Then why not upload the scan copy of the article as pdf
it might help mneary to help you and others to gain from it.

please go thro this link
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have scanned information in relation to my MK 1 ESR Meter. Hope this will help.
Greg

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 888
I have scanned information in relation to my MK 1 ESR Meter. Hope this will help.
Greg

Hi, You abruptly stopped at page 5. I expected trouble shooting chapter would be there.
However, the link I sent you appears related to old MK1 of EA magazine.
Did you go through and analyse following that link Gregory ?

Last edited:
I have been through the link you sent me and changed the transistor Q6 BC338.
I have set VR1 to 5 Ohm an then tested Good Caps.
The readings of the Caps are
ESR Display
Reading uf V Worst ESR Value on written on meter

.40 100uf 25v .32
.30 47uf 250v .80
.39 100uf 450v .80
.40 1,000uf 35v .07
Could you tell me if the readings above in the ESR Display Reading are correct or within the limits for a ESR readings.
Greg.

Last edited:
It appears that the meter is functioning. We don't know if the readings are accurate and it is not possible to tell just by trying capacitors off the bench.

Please perform the calibration with low value resistors of known values as instructed in the meter's calibration procedure.

After that you can check capacitors.

It appears that the meter is functioning. We don't know if the readings are accurate and it is not possible to tell just by trying capacitors off the bench.

Please perform the calibration with low value resistors of known values as instructed in the meter's calibration procedure.

After that you can check capacitors.

Congrats to Gregory.
Great Mneary. Finally both made it through !!!

in need of an ESR tester

So after calibration does it work? Is it accurate?
----

I am in need of an ESR tester.
I am considering either the Blue ESR kit or the Atlas ESR60.
Despite the price difference, I am interested in the Atlas ESR60 because it tests capacitance as well as ESR. AnaTek says the max ESR Ohms range is 20, while the Blue is 99. If my primary use is testing electrolytic from 4v to 200v and 22uf to 4000uf, when would I need the meter to measure above 20 Ohms? Most electrolytic caps (on computer circuit boards) are considered bad within single digits anyway, right?

Thoughts, suggestions, and dopeslaps:eek: appreciated.
Thanks.

So after calibration does it work? Is it accurate?
----

I am in need of an ESR tester.
I am considering either the Blue ESR kit or the Atlas ESR60.
Despite the price difference, I am interested in the Atlas ESR60 because it tests capacitance as well as ESR. AnaTek says the max ESR Ohms range is 20, while the Blue is 99. If my primary use is testing electrolytic from 4v to 200v and 22uf to 4000uf, when would I need the meter to measure above 20 Ohms? Most electrolytic caps (on computer circuit boards) are considered bad within single digits anyway, right?

Thoughts, suggestions, and dopeslaps:eek: appreciated.
Thanks.

have you seen the ESR-micro v3.1?

**broken link removed**

I also did reviews on the Blue and EVB ESR meter but I really love the ESR-micro it does ESR and Capacitance and it's only about $45.00!!!

in need of an ESR tester

I have seen the ESR-micro v3.1 and it looks very nice.

More reading suggests the Atlas is cumbersome and difficult to use....requiring a free hand to push the test button....alligator clips that are not ideal for in circuit or surface mount devices.

Now I'm leaning toward the Blue kit. Measuring capacitance would be bonus but not the primary need. I'd consider the Micro if a domestic (US) source for it becomes available.

Still....
Thoughts, suggestions, and dopeslaps appreciated.
Thanks.

in need of an ESR tester

I've done some more looking and I would really like to get that ESR-micro v3.1.
I've seen a very good pic that shows that there are sharp little probes stuck onto the end of the clips. This little gem is sure looking good to me.
I tried to request a purchase through Google Translate but I think the form reset and lost the data. I'll wait before trying again in case it actually worked. I'm considering getting one of each of their products. Western Union is not preferred but my best and safest choice for funds transfer. Even if is costs a little extra.

Preher TV. How long have you had your Micro and how is it holding up?

I've done some more looking and I would really like to get that ESR-micro v3.1.
I've seen a very good pic that shows that there are sharp little probes stuck onto the end of the clips. This little gem is sure looking good to me.
I tried to request a purchase through Google Translate but I think the form reset and lost the data. I'll wait before trying again in case it actually worked. I'm considering getting one of each of their products. Western Union is not preferred but my best and safest choice for funds transfer. Even if is costs a little extra.

Preher TV. How long have you had your Micro and how is it holding up?

Mine has held up great so far, although I have only had it a week. But I can tell you by the fine construction and the quality parts I see no reason it won't last a very long time, granted it is used properly and treated with the same care all test equipment should get. I have used many ESR meters over the years and this one is my favorite so far. :) We will see though how it holds up to the test of time...also it does come with a 1 year warranty.

in need of an ESR tester

Preher TV,
What was your method of ordering and payment for the Micro?
Might you consider being a US distributor for them? ;)

---- edit
I just saw your post on BadCaps. Very nice.
<http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7394&page=3>
I hope it works out great. Let us know the progress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back