Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR meter - DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again... There is many articles on the topic, as well on this forum, however they are rater old and may exist something new, more convenience.

Since many electronic devices comes with very badly chosen electrolytic capacitors, expected life of device is just about warranty period, or even less. Most of the capacitors become bulgy or leaked, however often there is no visual sign of it, but they are still dry. And yes, it is quite difficult to desolder all and change it with proper low ESR replacements, especially if some of old are still perfectly fine...

In short, ESR meter become really necessary tool these days. Commercial ESR meters are not cheap at all, however DIY designed cost is really affordable. There is many DIY design around, simple and complex, with or without MCU, with or without in circuit feature...

Anyway, I searched years ago some easily made, with in circuit feature and MCU based, however, except Bob Parker's (based?) one I have found none. However, Bob's ESR meter use some unusual MCU, non commonly available and I was not quite interested to made changes on hardware and write firmware from ground.

The question is: is there some free DIY ESR meter schematic and firmware available, which use some commonly used MCU these days, have "in circuit" measuring feature, no need to be precise at all (good-questionable-faulty indicators are enough).

Just elementary requirements in order to avoid unnecessary desoldering sometimes more than 20 capacitors per device...

Thanks.

Last edited:
I built this design https://static.elitesecurity.org/uploads/3/5/3564152/ESR Elektor.pdf
It is is a combined capacity and ESR meter. I modified the design a bit to give a lower ESR range and to use a PIC16f628 instead of the PIC16f84 (As I didn't have a PIC16F84 in stock) I think I also modified the capacitor meter part slightly but I can't remember why. If this design suits your needs I will try to find my notes on the modifications. I found the ESR function useful fot identifying faults in line output stages of CRT monitors. I even managed to fix a fault on one of the CCTV camera modules for which I had no schematic and no data in the ICs in it just by testing the ESR of the capacitors.

Les.

I built this design https://static.elitesecurity.org/uploads/3/5/3564152/ESR Elektor.pdf
It is is a combined capacity and ESR meter. I modified the design a bit to give a lower ESR range and to use a PIC16f628 instead of the PIC16f84...

IIRC (fuzzy, though, it was many years ago), I have read that Elector article and rejected because I could not find it have "in circuit" feature. I can't find that info now as well. However, if your modifications include "in circuit" feature, sounds fairly interesting to me. I would also get rid of PIC16f84 and generate frequencies differently...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

I have the Banggood Meter .. .. ..

I just attached it to a 16v 470uf attached to a radio circuit I'm looking at and see the pics, judge for yourself. The cap is new, just fitted !

S

Attachments

• Cap Meter 1.JPG
    Cap Meter 1.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Cap Meter 2.JPG
    Cap Meter 2.JPG
    941 KB · Views: 808
Hi
I have the Banggood Meter .. .. ..
I just attached it to a 16v 470uf attached to a radio circuit I'm looking at and see the pics, judge for yourself. The cap is new, just fitted !

Indeed, it does not exist such thing as "something good for nothing".
Bob Parker's Blue ESR kit cost some $80, however most of the cost goes to quality test leads and plastic box, I think.

Nope, you get what you pay for, I guess .. .. .

On the other hand, this thing is quite useful for standalone testing, but it doesn't like anything in circuit - weird and wonderful measurements !

S

I can't remember if it said anything about in circuit testing. (I built it over 4 years ago.) I do not think it would measure capacity in circuit but it seems to measure ESR OK. I also use it to check the internal resistance of nicd and nimh cells by connecting about a 0.47 uf film capacitor in series with them.
I have just found a link to the Banggood tester that Nigel mentioned. This is the link.
https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Meter-...ESR-Inductance-Resistor-NPN-PNP-p-929603.html
It does look good value. I suspect that it is shipped from China.

Les.

Not a problem...

There is "all-in-one" cheap devices as that, however "in circuit" feature is primary feature, otherwise not interesting for me.

Easily way to distinguish have it or not is is it generate more than one frequency (100kHz and 15okHz usually), low voltage and have ability to discharge capacitors...

I do not recall of all details, but this is nice article to read about and remember:
http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back