Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP8266 ESP-01 (WiFi relay module) Usage Help Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asheekay

Hi guys. It's been a lot of time since I was last here.

So, after my cellphone activated cupboard lock project (it worked, but the headache maintaining it was immeasurable) I stopped being an intrepid mad electrician and bought a proper remote relay module ESP8266 ESP-01 which they said allows switching on and off through WiFi.

The issue is, I can't figure out at all how to:

1- assemble this thing at all. It comes as 2 pieces. See attached pics. How to attach them?

2- the big blue relay on the board reads 5v dc powered but internet manuals say the module ought not be powered by more than 3.3v 500mA DC supply. I'm lost here. How should I power it with a 9v or 12 v (23A sized) battery?
16241744977012242287612722523431.jpg

Once i get to understand these, I'd want to learn how to connect to it and use it.

Looking on ebay, the small module just plugs in to the relay board, over the top of it.
Don't worry about the 3.3V part, the relay board will have a voltage regulator on to to drop the 5V down to the correct level.

**broken link removed**

I'd expect the ESP module to be pre-programmed when included in a dedicated function device such as that?

Ok, so I plug in the main input to 5v DC power and I plug in the smaller module into the larger one. Got it.

What do I do after that though ...?

I'm praying this is a standalone chip for controlling circuits through WiFi and doesn't turn out to be yet another bleeding Arduino module.

I know C so I guess I could program some basic Arduino functionality, but I'd have no idea how to install the instructions in this circuit.

All I wanted was to control a cupboard lock through my smartphone and look what I got myself into ...

An ESP-01 is simply a small (smallest?) ESP8266, can be programmed via the Arduino IDE, but is a pain to program due to it's lack of pins and required programming hardware.

This site seems to imply that you need to program it before use?

An ESP-01 is simply a small (smallest?) ESP8266, can be programmed via the Arduino IDE, but is a pain to program due to it's lack of pins and required programming hardware.

Ah.

Here goes one day's worth of wage down the drain ...

Just plug it in the relay board, apply power to the board, and then hunt for a WiFi access point on your phone.

All right! It's time for some feedback. Specially for the good rjenkinsgb and Nigel Goodwin, both of whom were very helpful.

So ... this thing is amazing!! Yes, it does need to be programmed, but the site I got it from, they sell preprogrammed modules so there's absolutely nothing in programming I needed to do. Just plugged the smaller circuit into the receptacle of the larger circuit and I was all set.

Now for the powering up. I used a 5v-1A supply and simply plugged the output into the circuit.

For the connection, yes Nigel was right. There was indeed a new WiFi connection available once the module was up and running. Once I connected (using the password given by the supplier), I opened the app they had told me to download. Then I had to give in the IP address of the module (I ordered two, and both operate on separate IPs, I assume) and ta da! All set. Now I would just use the On and Off buttons in the app to turn the relay on or off. I tested it with a small LED.

The relay is rated up to 220vac and 10A so yes. The fun is going to be endless!

------------------------------------------------

Now the question: how do I power this thing using a 9 or 12 volt battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back