Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error in MPASM

Status
Not open for further replies.
futz said:
If you're stuck on using serial just get yourself a **broken link removed** and you're in business. You can likely find one cheaper than that one. You may also find that some just don't work for programming. Keep trying different ones till you find one that works.

But it would be unusual to find one that works with a JDM programmer, dump the crappy JDM and get a proper programmer!.

You must have used notepad. Try creating it again with notepad and "save as..." then save as type "all files" then type in BLINK.ASM for the filename.

wmmullaney said:
How? On the desktop it shows up as blink.asm, but mpasm says "error in parameter "blink.asm.txt"" And showing properties says the ms-dos name is something.asm.txt. I can't change it.

Set Windows so it doesn't hide the file extensions! - it's a really stupid idea!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Set Windows so it doesn't hide the file extensions!
Yes, Microsoft assumes that all users are complete morons (they're not totally wrong :D) and configures the OS accordingly. You have to configure Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) properly yourself to make it useable for non-chimps. The pretty pictures (icons) are for stupid people. Get rid of them. (If I wanted cute I'd buy a frickin Mac :D)

NOTE: These instructions are for Windows XP
In Explorer, go Tools/Folder Options/View. Once there you should set these:
1. Check - Display the contents of system folders
2. Check - Display the full path in the title bar
3. Select - Show hidden files and folders
4. Uncheck - Hide extensions for known file types
5. Uncheck - Hide protected operating system files

That's it in there. Click OK.

In the menu bar in View, change view to Details. Turn on Status Bar. In View/Toolbars shut off Address Bar and Links. Hit F5 to update the screen.

Right click the Standard Buttons toolbar and "Unlock the Toolbars". Then right click it again (in a spot where there are no buttons) and select Customize. At the bottom, in Icon Options, select small icons. In the right pane (Current toolbar buttons) remove Back and Forward. Close that.

Then grab the toolbar (left click on it) by its handle (the four dots at its left edge) and drag it up to the menu bar. Drop it as far left as you can without covering up Help. Then right click it and lock it there.

Do this stuff even if you think you hardly ever use Windows Explorer. Those Folder Options/View settings work everywhere in Windoze because Explorer is used everywhere in Windows by every program (file browsers). It's like Nautilus in Linux.

Last edited:
Oh ya! I just remembered you're the Mac guy. Hehehe! Hope you enjoyed my rant. :D

I'm sure there must be at least some Mac users who need to get something done without all the cuteness and hand-holding. I assume there are similar settings for a Mac.

The Mac OS is just BSD (like Linux) with a pretty face, right? Somewhere down there is a ton of config settings. I run 95% Linux machines here and they're VERY configurable.

Good work. But let us not forget to click on the "Apply to All Folders" button but only after settings details.

wmmullaney said:
still says BLINK.ASM.TXT, then, when I hit "Assemble", it says "DOS Error, file not found", any help?

Like I said before, delete the .TXT at the end, it can't work while that's there - you saved it with that extension.

wmmullaney said:
futz, there is no "Folder Options" in my "Tools" menu, Nigel, I did not save it with that extension, it appeared everywhere to be BLINK.ASM

That's where you went wrong, you DID save it with that file extension, I haven't told you how or why, because if you work it out yourself you will learn more about it!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back