Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Entwined Darlington Regulator / Schottky Rectifier Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

I had an idea this evening and wanted to run it by you lot.

AC input of 0-100v under no load, 0-6v under significant load. Looking at the pic, the only theoretical disadvantage over a full wave skhottky rectifier is the darlington will drop 0.9v instead of 0.55v. The benefit is when no load there's no heat to shunt (to protect the buck circuit that would be connected to +/-).

The big issue I foresee is the Vceo which is rarely found above 25v and typically 7v. I can't see anyway around it so another schkotty for reverse protection on the emitter would drop a further 0.55v. Ultimately then the voltage drop would be 1v greater than a zener shunt -> full wave schkotty -> load when a load is connected. This would be too great an efficiency loss over the no load benefit.

Any improvements or thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC01937.JPG
    DSC01937.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 138
Perhaps to increase efficiency the 9v from each transistor base can be used to turn on two mosfets which can replace or work alongside the two sckhottys on the left of the diagram. Mosfet breakdown wise I don't know much about the typical reverse drain to source.

Why the Zener? The B-E voltage will not get above 0.7 volts.
upload_2016-9-14_20-26-14.png

Put a simple diode across the B-E such that forward current will flow B-E and reverse current will flow through the diode.
upload_2016-9-14_20-25-40.png

The zener breaks down at 9V (roughly) so the output (+) is limited to that sort of voltage (roughly).

Your idea for the diode from E to B would work (just remove the diode in line with the zener) so long as the B to C reverse breakdown is much higher?

The zener breaks down at 9V (roughly) so the output (+) is limited to that sort of voltage (roughly).
The B-E voltage will not get to the 9V of the Zener. So the transistor will save the diode.

There are several other problems but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back