Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enhanced Midrange PIC linearly addressed RAM program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been playing with my enhanced midrange 16F193X PICs as I have found time. At first, the new MOVIW and MOVWI commands through me for a loop, but I think I have them now.

I've written a program that uses both File Select Registers to indirectly address one set of data and then write it to another location by use of the other FSR, with both being used at the same time. I have the numbers 1 through 5 in some globally addressable RAM and then I use both FSRs with post increment to fill the numbers over and over again until it runs out of RAM. The beauty here is that the linear addressability allows me to fill 240 bytes of RAM without ever changing banks. On a beefier enhanced midrange, one could read or write around 1K bytes of RAM without ever changing banks.

The program doesn't do anything at all, but I hope it will be useful to some others who are looking to play with these newer PICs that are having trouble understanding some of the more difficult RAM addressing techniques.

Code:
;THIS PROGRAM JUST TESTS THE INDIRECT FILE ADDRESSING OF MEMORY ON THE EENHANCED MIDRANGE USING THE 
;TWO DIFFERENT FSRs. THIS WILL GENERATE A 1 THROUGH 5 CONSECUTIVELY IN ALL RAM LOCATIONS EXCEPT THOSE
;THAT ARE IN GLOBAL LOCATIONS, AS THEY ARE NOT LINEARLY ADDRESSABLE BECAUSE THEY CAN BE DIRECTLY
;ADDRESSED FROM ANY BANK

;********************************************************************************
;Set up the assembler options
 LIST p=16F1934, r=DEC
#include <P16F1934.inc>
 __CONFIG _CONFIG1, _MCLRE_OFF & _WDTE_OFF & _FOSC_INTOSC
 __CONFIG _CONFIG2, _LVP_OFF & _PLLEN_ON  ;&  _IESO_

;********************************************************************************
;VARIABLE DECLARATIONS
COUNTERA		EQU 0x70
COUNTERB		EQU 0x71
COUNTERC		EQU 0x72
NUMERATOR		EQU	0x73
DIVISOR			EQU	0x74
REMAINDER		EQU	0x75
MULTIPLIER		EQU	0x76
TEST1			EQU	0x77
TEST2			EQU	0x78
TEST3			EQU	0x79
TEST4			EQU	0x7A
TEST5			EQU	0x7B	
ANSWER			EQU	0x7C
FSRPOINTER		EQU	0x7D	
COPY1			EQU	0x20	;START OF BANK0 RAM
COPY2			EQU	0x21	;END OF BANK0 RAM
COPY3			EQU	0x22
COPY4			EQU	0x23
COPY5			EQU	0x24
COPY6			EQU	0xA0	;START OF BANK1 RAM
COPY7			EQU	0xEF	;END OF BANK1 RAM
COPY8			EQU	0x120	;START OF BANK2 RAM
COPY9			EQU	0x16F	;END OF BANK2 RAM

;Vectors
	ORG	0
	goto	INITIALIZEPIC
	ORG	4
	retfie

;Start of program memory page 0
	ORG	5

;SUBROUTINE SECTION
;*********************************************************************************

INDF0_RESET	
		MOVF  	FSRPOINTER,W
		MOVWF	FSR0
		RETLW	.0

;INITIAL CONFIGURATION SECTION

INITIALIZEPIC

BANKSEL			OSCCON
	MOVLW			B'01110000'				;32mhz oscillator
	MOVWF			OSCCON
	bcf				ADCON0,ADON
	bcf				ADCON1,ADFM
	banksel			ANSELA
	MOVLW			B'00000001'      ;SET UP PORTA FOR ANALOG INPUT
	MOVWF			ANSELA
	clrf			        ANSELB
	banksel			CM2CON0
	bcf				CM2CON0,C2ON
	bcf				CM1CON0,C1ON
	banksel			PORTA
	clrf			PORTA
	clrf			PORTB
	clrf			PORTC
	clrf			PORTD
	clrf			PORTE
	banksel			TRISB
	MOVLW			B'00000001'		;SET UP PORTA FOR ANALOG INPUT
	MOVWF			TRISA
	CLRF			TRISB
	CLRF			TRISC
	BANKSEL			ADCON0
	MOVLW			B'00000001'		;AN0 CHANNEL SELECTED, ADC PERIPH ON
	MOVWF			ADCON0
	MOVLW			B'00100000'  	;LEFT JUSTIFIED, FOSC/32, RAIL REFERENCE
	MOVWF			ADCON1
	BANKSEL			TEST1
	MOVLW			.1
	MOVWF			TEST1	
	MOVLW			.2
	MOVWF			TEST2	
	MOVLW			.3
	MOVWF			TEST3	
	MOVLW			.4
	MOVWF			TEST4	
	MOVLW			.5
	MOVWF			TEST5
	MOVLW			0x77
	MOVWF			FSRPOINTER

;*****************************************************************
;Start of the main program

;THIS PROGRAM JUST TESTS THE INDIRECT FILE ADDRESSING OF MEMORY ON THE EENHANCED MIDRANGE USING THE 
;TWO DIFFERENT FSRs. THIS WILL GENERATE A 1 THROUGH 5 CONSECUTIVELY IN ALL RAM LOCATIONS EXCEPT THOSE
;THAT ARE IN GLOBAL LOCATIONS, AS THEY ARE NOT LINEARLY ADDRESSABLE BECAUSE THEY CAN BE DIRECTLY
;ADDRESSED FROM ANY BANK

START
	MOVLW	0x77		;THIS IS IN GLOBALLY ADDRESSABLE RAM, SO IT CAN'T BE LINEARLY ADDRESSED
	MOVWF	FSR0
	MOVLW	0x20		;FSRn at 0x2000 access bank 0 ram loc 20h.
	MOVWF	FSR1H
	MOVLW	0x00		;finish loading FSR1
	MOVWF	FSR1L		

COPY	
	MOVIW	INDF0++		;move contents of indirectly addressed register to W, post increment
	MOVWI	INDF1++		;move W to indirectly addressed register, post increment, this creates an indirect copy
	MOVF	FSR0,W		;copy FSR0 into W for a test 
	SUBLW	0x7C		;see where this is at 7B was last meaningful location being copied from, so with post inc it is at 7C when meaningless locations are reached
	BTFSC	STATUS,Z	;if RAM location 7C is yet the value of FSR0, skip next line
	CALL	INDF0_RESET	
	MOVF	FSR1H,W		;move FSR1 high to W for a test
	SUBLW	0x20		;this is high byte of FSR1
	BTFSS	STATUS,Z	;if equal to 20h, skip next line
	GOTO	COPY
	MOVF	FSR1L,W		;go BACK to top and keep going
	SUBLW	0xF0		;0x20F0 is the last linearly addressable RAM location that gets shadowed in GPRs on the 16F1934
	BTFSS	STATUS,Z	;so, when we get here we need to stop copying or else we will cause a crazy wrap around
	GOTO	COPY		;if we arent at 0x20F0 yet with FSR1, keep copying

ENDLOOP
	GOTO	ENDLOOP

;Start of program memory page 1
	ORG	2048

END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back