Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enhanced midrange core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi folks:
Can anyone suggest a pin 4 pin replacement of the 16f886 with a new enhanced core chip like the 16F1936?

Ok, on close inspection it appears that they are Pin 4 Pin matched.

Now I just need to figure out if the default config bits match or I need to adjust the 1936 bits to default to 8Mhz 886 operation and peripherals

Last edited:
Hi folks:
Can anyone suggest a pin 4 pin replacement of the 16f886 with a new enhanced core chip like the 16F1936?

Ok, on close inspection it appears that they are Pin 4 Pin matched.

Now I just need to figure out if the default config bits match or I need to adjust the 1936 bits to default to 8Mhz 886 operation and peripherals

PIC's do tend to remain pin compatible, that's one of their excellent features. However, I would expect you would need to alter the config lines considerably.

Even more of a concern though is the banking, it's done completely differently in the enhanced series (using a bank register) and has a HUGE number of banks. If anything it's actually easier, and if you used the Banksel macro, it will automatically insert the correct lines - but because of the much larger number of banks you need to switch banks a LOT more than the old series (but it's a fast single line instruction now).

Just a comment

I know I am not adding any value to Nigel's reply. Just to tell that I am happy of having moved to the 18F family.

I was using the 16F193X before I went to the 18F. I did a couple cool things with it, but the bank switching got ridiculous to me. It can do more things than a regular 16F, and in kinda different than the 18F, but that daggum bank switching just turned me off.

I was using the 16F193X before I went to the 18F. I did a couple cool things with it, but the bank switching got ridiculous to me. It can do more things than a regular 16F, and in kinda different than the 18F, but that daggum bank switching just turned me off.

Try C... its free and I think its relatively easy to learn..

Ian

I was going to buy one of those but they may be pulling them off the market... You can get a FEZ Panda for not much more money (£24) which has an ARM7 and oodles more power and functionality.

Ian

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that Proton and SF may get pulled off the market? When? Why? I don't use any of the dev boards. I just use a bare uC and build around it.

No! Proton basic for pic's is very good I think it's just the amicus18 dev boards.

I tried to get one from PROTO PIC in Scotland , They told me that due to VERY low sales they wont be selling them any more ditto for Cool components.

As the Arduino and .NET platforms are so dominant I can see their point.

Ian

Where are you guys going with this?

Arduino is a nice set of training wheels and I can not fault it for that. At least it is C based and once you know C you can use most any micro controller.

The modern micro controller has so many built in peripherals that all you need to do is add a few bits to do most of the learning level examples. A uC on a solderless bread board works fine for that.

Last edited:
PIC's do tend to remain pin compatible, that's one of their excellent features. However, I would expect you would need to alter the config lines considerably.

Even more of a concern though is the banking, it's done completely differently in the enhanced series (using a bank register) and has a HUGE number of banks. If anything it's actually easier, and if you used the Banksel macro, it will automatically insert the correct lines - but because of the much larger number of banks you need to switch banks a LOT more than the old series (but it's a fast single line instruction now).

Ok, so all my Clrf STATUS to reset banks to has to be fixed? otherwise the banksel cmd does the job?

Does it have more banks because they are smaller or because there is more mem?

Also, what about page switching via PCLATH...is that different as well?

Ok, so all my Clrf STATUS to reset banks to has to be fixed? otherwise the banksel cmd does the job?

Does it have more banks because they are smaller or because there is more mem?

A bit of both, and also because there are a fixed set of registers common to all banks - again, making it easier.

You could simply CLRF the BankSelect register - or (probably better) 'Banksel 0x00' and let the macro do it for you.

Also, what about page switching via PCLATH...is that different as well?

Slightly different again, but as long as you use the Pagesel macro it takes care of it - there are also other cool features which help to prevent paging problems (such as BRA and BRW).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back