Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

English text to speech on a PIC microcontroller demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdanh2002

Hi,

I managed to port the SAM (Software Automatic Mouth) text to speech open source project from https://simulationcorner.net/index.php?page=sam to the PIC24FJGA0002 and achieve satisfactorily audio quality when using PWM for audio output. The speech generated is less mechanic and slightly better than the TTS256. The compiled project used just over 50% of the available data/program memory on this PIC.

This is the sample audio of the generated speech for the sentence "This is SAM text to speech. I am so small that I will work also on embedded computers", when running on a PIC24FJ64GA002 using PWM for audio output:

**broken link removed**

My entire writeup for this project, including comparisons with other TTS project on PIC/Arduino and the download link for the project source code, can be found on my blog

**broken link removed**

I believe this will be a better free alternative for text to speech on a PIC, compared with the current (expensive) commercial speech solutions. Too bad the TTS256 is long dead - I could not find any sites selling it at a reasonable price.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back