Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energizer® e²® Lithium Batteries for Digital Camera...

Lithium or Rechargables?

• Lithium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rechargables

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

erabell

I'm hoping to learn more about which types of batteries are best for digital cameras.

Have any of you heard of these new Energizer® e²® Lithium batteries? I've got some in my digital camera right now, and they've lasted, well, for a long time.

I was curious about the "last 7 times longer in digital cameras" claim, so I grabbed our digital camera, 2 AA Energizer® e²® Lithium batteries, and took 2 batteries from our supply of our AA Duracells. I decided to see how many pictures I could take with each set. I didn't click away, or anything, just took pics of random things, trying to use the life of the batteries as one normally would. The regular Duracell batteries lasted for about 25 minutes, and I ended up with 27 pictures. Doesn't seem like much, but the LCD display wears down the batteries really fast. I replaced the dead Duracells with the pair of the lithium batteries, and basically filled up the rest of the memory card. I ended up with 101 pictures, and the batteries handn't run out, though they were about 75% spent.

I'd like to know if any of you have tried these, and, if so, would you rather use these as apposed to rechargables? Pros/cons, etc would be very helpful. Thanks.

I have some energizer rechargables that I use in my digi and my TI Voyage 200 graphing calc. They only take about an hour on the charger too.

I bought 4 x 1700mAH rechargeables from Uniross, on the basis that initial cost is the only cost for some time to come (hopefully). I've had no problems.

I have always used the lithiums in my camera with the exception of once when I used normal Energizer alkalines. The lithiums cost about twice as much, but I usually get about 5x the life as the others. They also weigh [noticeably] less. My Epson uses 4 AA's and I can tell the difference. Like yours, my LCD monitor also will use the cells much faster. If I am going to have the camera on for a while, I will usually turn the LCD off when I'm setting up shots, then turn it on to frame and take the shot. Can't comment on rechargables though - never used them.
JB

Those AA lithium cells last a lot longer than alkaline or per charge for Ni-MH. But I can't afford to replace them when they are drained. My first ones were free samples.
Ni-MH 2300mA AA cells also work pretty well but need recharging after only a month or two of no use.

My Toshiba camera won't work on any but lithium. The lithium cell is 1.73 volts open circuit. I have bought a 7.2 volt rechargable battery to use with the camera. It will mean modifying the camera to use the external battery.

Am something of an electronics peasant..
My camera was desinged to take four AAA batteries , but even in standby mode alkaline cells would scarcely last a week with occasional snapping.
When the hinge for the battery compartment failed , I said what the the heck and soldered in the wires for a AA four pack holder using NImH 1300ma cells held the whole thing in place with 2" of duct tape. Ugly as sin but I swap batteries once a month now wether they need it or not.

Hot tip for buying a digital camera from a store...
get the sales staff to demo it with the biggest memory card they have.
"shutter lag" (measured in seconds! with one tried) and other problems related to the cameras internal clock speed show up :twisted:

Hi Tansis,
I know what you mean about "shutter lag":
1) You tell them to say, "cheese" and you push the shutter button.
2) Nothing happens, so you push it again.
3) Everyone leaves, then the camera takes two pictures. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back