Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

enclosure/keypad mechanical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urahara

Hi

This is more a mechanical question rather than an electronic one. Just gathering ideas on how the gurus out there do it so that it looks nice and "professional" :D.

I have one of those off-the-shelf enclosure that comes with a recessed area for a membrane keypad. To this recessed area I have pasted a standard off-the-shelf 4x4 membrane keypad. Everything being off-the-shelf, both of course don't fit exactly.

Right now, there is a small 1.8mm gap along the edge of the keypad with the edge of the recessed area. What ways have you folks used to fill/level up this gap? I have tried using black RTV silicone and putty but the results aren't too pleasing nor professional looking.

Any comments appreciated. Thks! :)

The lead-out ribbon from a production quality keypad would not normally come off the keypad on an edge, but rather a 1/2" in from it. The slot is then under the keypad and the keypad is glued over it and so causes no problems.

The prototyping style keypads tend to have the ribbon right off an edge which makes it awkward to mount them in a manner that is asthetic. What I normally do is make a small surround out of thin material, plastic or aluminium, depending on the keypad or project, and glue or screw that on over the top of the keypad. That way the slot is hidden from view and it looks properly finished. It is not always possible to do this though, it really depends on the enclosure or project.

rgds

A "faceplate" covering the gaps between the keypad recessed area and the keypad. Why didn't I think of that??!!

Thanks tunedwolf! I think that may solve the problem I have been facing for a while. Will try it out asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back