Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ELM322, ELM320

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Good day all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an equivalent IC to the ELM320 series IC's. The ELM320 series are On board Diagnostics to RS232 converters, made out of Canada.

Anyone know of an equivalent? Thanks a bunch!

I use the ELM chips quite often for OBDII applications, there are no similar chips that I know of, and I looked for quite some time before I found ELM.There is one with similar functions(harris or harrison I think), but it's triple the price.The ELM's are just Microchip PIC's with ELM's code, you could write your own code and just program a PIC.

Almost, until I found the elm chips.The ELMs are pretty cheap, so it isn't worth the trouble.If you want to make your own I can probably help you.

Nah, after thinking about it, it may not be worth all of the effort. Although, this may be some good competition for the ELM chips. This'll probably be a project on down the road a bit, once I get familiar with using microcontrollers on a better level.

Thanks anyway!

Hold on a second here. :shock: I have been looking through the datasheets for these ELM3xx IC's, and they state that they are using Microchip's PIC 16C5xx, PIC 16c505 etc. These microcontrollers are listed as less than $2.00 on the Microchip website!!! If we put some programming time in, we can give these ELM chips a run for their money! $10 vs $2, hmmmm.

It's a question of whether the time is worth the extra $10-$15, If your vehicle is ISO-9141(which is the easiest of the OBDII protocols), it would be a close call, american SAE J1850 would not be worth the effort.Not to mention, papers containing exact details of the protocols are only available from SAE or ISO, and they cost $80+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back