electronics safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't eat IC chips that are a few years old. They contain lead.

Recent chips are lead free but they don't taste as good.

what is safety for electronics men?

Below 60 vdc or 42 v peak or 30 vrms is "safe."
Only one person in the whole history of the U.S. Navy got electrocuted on a voltage as low as 47v.
1 mA current through your body is detectible, 10 mA is painful, 20 mA you can't let go, >100 mA could be fatal.
Current through your chest is worse than current through your fingers.
Cardiac defibrillators put out up to 7 watt-seconds [joules] of energy, and they are dangerous.

For extra credit, look up "arc flash" and "skin resistance".

>600 v punctures the skin and, for me, it left a little hole that took a while to close up!

If you get a shock and you believe you hear a woman singing something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLKXxzVqTY&feature=related
it probably means you will die soon.

Last edited:
Willbe Cardiac defibrillators put out up to 7 watt-seconds [joules said:
of energy, and they are dangerous.

All the external defib's I worked on in the hospital had a maximum output of 360 W/sec...about 2.5KV from a 16µF capacitor.

Ken...an old...and still testing with one hand in the pocket...Biomed Tech

Your questions is a pretty general non-specific one so I will give a general answer. "Electronics men" safety would be following rules and practices that would prevent injury to self or others due to unsafe acts or practices.

Oh yea, it's also not a good idea to solder while wearing shorts.

Lefty

Don't set the circuit board for a CCFL bulb on a pair of jeans you're wearing and then plug it in. Those sharp points seperate the jean threads nicely and provide adequate conduction to make your leg itch from a minor 1st degree burn for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…