Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Weather Station Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Gallagher

Hello Everyone,
I am consisdering building an electronic weather station which will basically consist of two main blocks, one of which will contain all of the nessesery instruments and can be be placed in a remote location, this will then radio back data to another block attached to a PC where the nesserery software will display various readings.

At the moment I am just doing my reaearch and am finding it difficult to come across simple circuits or IC's which will act as as a tranducer in sensing different aspect of the weather. So far I've come across temperature semsors quite cheap and humidity sensors. Everything else seems quite expensive. I would like at least 4 different aspects, maybe temperature, windspeed, atmospheric pressure, rainfall.

My main question is does anybody know of any circuits or IC's (or resonanbly cheap anemomemeters) which would carry out the above tasks. I am not really looking for excessive accuracy and I don't think I would be willing to pay much more than 10Euro for an IC (but maybe I may have to). Also are there resonably priced temp sensors which will also calculate negative temps?

If anyone has ever tried this type of project before please let me know and if anyone knows of any sites or nice circuits plaese let me know.

Thanks very much for your time
Kev

Just a tidbit on humidity. The measurement of dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures will yeild enough information to calculate relative humidity and dewpoint. Dry bulb temp is just the regular temperature of the air. Wet bulb temperature is essentially the temperature reading that you get with a wet wick over the bulb of a thermometer or temp sensor with some air blowing over it - as a result of evaporation. I do not know what you have access to but thought it worth mentioning.

If the wet bulb and dry bulb temps are the same then the RH is at or near 100%. If there is a large difference then the air is relatively dry.

You haven't filled your location in, so we don't have a clue where you might be?.

But the UK magazine EPE published a weather station last year, it included everything you seem to be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back