Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrischrischris

Hi all.

Is there anyone out there that has created an electronic scoreboard. I'm wanting to build one for our soccer club as they cost in the thousands.
I'd like to create 2 lots of double digits for the team scores, a count down timer with 4 digits (and the semi-colon) as well as a text scroll area at the top or base. If the unit could be run with a remote, that would be fantastic - less cabling.

I've found a scoreboard available at Jaycar's which is based on single row LEDs for each of the 7 sides of a digit. The digits are around 120mm high. I'd like to make them 300 high, hence I'd probably need 7 or 8 x 3 rows for each of the 8 segments 7 segments of each digit. Can all the components just be "stepped up" to take the extra load?

I'm also thinking, to make it more simple, should I create one circuit for each score, one for the text scroll and one for the count-down timer?

If anyone could help, our club would really appreciate it.

Can all the components just be "stepped up" to take the extra load?
In principle, yes.
I'm also thinking, to make it more simple, should I create one circuit for each score, one for the text scroll and one for the count-down timer?
A single microprocessor can easily cope with the lot. Separate circuits would require interfacing/synchronising etc so would actually be less simple.

Hi all.

Is there anyone out there that has created an electronic scoreboard. I'm wanting to build one for our soccer club as they cost in the thousands.
I'd like to create 2 lots of double digits for the team scores, a count down timer with 4 digits (and the semi-colon) as well as a text scroll area at the top or base. If the unit could be run with a remote, that would be fantastic - less cabling.

I've found a scoreboard available at Jaycar's which is based on single row LEDs for each of the 7 sides of a digit. The digits are around 120mm high. I'd like to make them 300 high, hence I'd probably need 7 or 8 x 3 rows for each of the 8 segments 7 segments of each digit. Can all the components just be "stepped up" to take the extra load?

If anyone could help, our club would really appreciate it.

Thats a big project.

What is your electronics back ground?

Thats a big project.

What is your electronics back ground?

Yes it is a big project, but I love challenges and really enjoy making things. In my time I've probably built about 10 different circuits and I'm confident in dabbling. I'm by no means an expert, but I do learn quickly. Recently I picked up a 555 and created a timer for a glider (lights and beeper). Googling and reading, I ended up understanding how the current worked in the cap (1/3V on, 2/3V off, etc).

I've been getting quotes for purchasing the scoreboard, however their just too high - our soccer club can't afford it at the moment. The last quote was around $14,000!). I'd rather pay someone to help me with the circuit diagram and programming. As for the construction, and finish, I know I'll make it end up really good. I'll post picture when I finish (if I go ahead).

Do I need to interface with an arduino controller for the scrolling text? Does this need C++?

Does your skill set include C++, C or any other programming language? IMHO the bulk of the time spent on this project is likely to be in the coding, plus physical assembly of the LED arrays, with the electronics coming third.

I would make the score display its own entity. It is a simple up/down counter with a big two digit display.
That way you can use it manually with up-down switch's and control it later by a micro and remote control.

Does Fortran count! But that was based on card readers - back at my Uni days. I suppose I'm really showing my age here.
In my last job I was a maintenance engineer (with no engineering background) and designed machinery (automated pneumatics). It involved writting code for the PLC in ladder format - I had someone direct me, then I took off on my own experimenting - it was great fun. Before that I did programing in AutoCAD software - called lisp - self taught. I haven't attempted C++ but I have a friend that I think is proficient in it, so if I have a partially started code, with some direction I'm confident I'll be able to make changes. But I just need something to start with.
I realize the majority of the work will be coding and led construction. If I end up with the digits I'm after, it ends up 215 per character (i.e. 2 scores of 2, timer x 4 = 8 x 215 LEDs).

I would make the score display its own entity. It is a simple up/down counter with a big two digit display.
That way you can use it manually with up-down switch's and control it later by a micro and remote control.

Hi 4pyros. I agree that for "me" to create these in parts would be simpler. One board may be cheaper and more economic, but to test them independantly I thought would be easier. 2 scores, 1 count-down timer, one rolling text screen. Test manually, then create remote control unit. Big job but sounds like "heaps of fun". I can't wait to start, but do need feedback on support on this project. Ta.

I've found a scoreboard available at Jaycar's which is based on single row LEDs for each of the 7 sides of a digit.
Is that the same as the Qkit one?
**broken link removed**

The link to qkits is essentially part of the set, but not the same as the Jaycar one. Jacar link:

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_103978/article.html

The link to digitalcornhole looks good for the scores and remote, but yes to small for a full size soccer pitch.

Do have a quick look if you can at the jaycar link. It has a countdown timer, 2 scores, transmitter/receiver, siren for end of game, however no scrolling text. I think I could buy the magazine issue that has the circuit diagram. If however I used this as a base, my issue would be to get advice on how to "size" everything up (i.e. 215 LEDs per digit as compared to the 28 (single row) they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back