Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Inventory Software (Again??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have been looking for inventory management software to catalogue my components, and searched through the various posts here as well as a few google searches. I have tried most of them now and have yet to find one suitable for my need.

You have probably guessed by now where this is going:- so here it is>

I've cranked up my ide, and begun creating one that suits my needs better - and if it works ok, then i'll release for everyone.

What features would make it useful to you, and what information would you want from it?

This is what I have come up with so far:
  • A Treeview structure allowing hierachical data to be stored
  • A photo of the component
  • the part name/number
  • a general 'class' eg 555, would include all 555's of the various types for the various manuafactures
  • a link to the datasheet (online or local)
  • a list of notes regarding the use of the component (application notes??)
  • a link to the manufactures website (Grouping by manufacturer?)
  • a space to store (or include calculators) for the formulas used with the component - for example in led you could include a calculator that works out the current limiting resistor
  • pinout info - i know that the datasheet will include this, but im thinking a kind of quickview so that you dont need to open acrobat just to to check a pin number
  • full parametric search capability based on the classes mentioned above - eg 555, any device described as a 555 would have parametric data that could be compared to other 555s
  • multi monitor support, so that it can be left open on another monitor without tying up your main screen
  • full stock control, eg how many you have, how many you want to have, and reports to support this function
  • pricing information, where did you buy it from, and how much did it cost you
  • links (ability to add more than 1) to the device on various online stores
  • Possible but not high priority: scrape the main stores for current price information (eg in the uk it may be rapid,rs,farnell, ect)
  • user customisable scapers (include the sites that YOU buy from)
  • ability to package up the main details (Not inc stock or location info) so that you can send them to friends (save time for them typing in details for items)
  • a flexable location system ( you can create your own system, from simple 'box under stairs' to 'blue section row C, column 18')
  • pictures for the locations - mabey a photo with a highlight over the required drawer or shelf
  • a list of links to useful circuits that use the component
  • wizards to create the major details for the most common components, eg resistor would generate the image with the correct stripes etc, with formulas etc all ready entered
  • import BOM from major packages such a eagle, ew, etc - generate report showing what you have, and what you need. Add a review feature so that once the parts are taken from storage that the system can deduct from stock
  • A way to mark a part as salvage ( i keep large boxes of old boards from tvs/printers/etc, and want to tag the 'interesting parts' that can be salvaged from them, without having to desolder them before needing them)
  • configurable reports including compnent lists, with/witout pics/pinouts,stock, components grouped by type, stock value, etc
  • a shopping list (seperate from the out of stock report, so that you can add interesting stuff you find and want to include in your next order)
  • space to add references to compatitle components (check boxes so that can be pin compatible/function compatible or both)

Any more suggestions, ad its always better to have info at the beginning of a project, whilst designing the data structure than having to modify it later and breaking something.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you make that an online service so that all the data somebody inputs is available to others. And top of that you could keep personal inventory.. then you might have something. The user interface is the key to success. At the moment my database is google and inventory is in my head.. I don't want to work over weekend to transfer all that into some software manualy.

Last edited:
Hi misterT, thanks for the comment, its quite interesting that you mention that, as i was going for a php/mysql implimentation anyway, so that would extend to the web very easily (add accounts and security). So you could do it online if that suits you, or run it locally if you prefer. Online would also let you have an option that lets you make all/some/none of your inventory info available to others in the context of I cannot find a '#insertobsucreparthere#', but searching the online db reveals that another user has one (and ticked the box to make it public) then it puts the two users in contact so that they can agree as sale/swap or whatever the two parties agree to.

Another thought that just occurred to me - most of the system is not electronic specific, so by adding a new 'root' to the treeview system you add hardware type things like enclosures/nuts/bolts etc - it would add nothing to developemt time, and allow it to be used as 'workshopInventory' instead of electronic inventory. Although im much more interested in electronics support at the moment.

I would want to make any online system free to the all users, but would appreciate donations - not money, but if anyone wants to donate components :)

You asked for suggestions

Forget all that. Do something else. Like designing a nice original (for you) circuit.

In one year time, if not earlier, you unavoidably will loose momentum or, the worst, you will be the slave of your perfectly designed system.

Time, the SOLE asset in your life that you cannot recover, will be wasted in organizing things.

I keep sheets in a file where I noted clearly every IC and transistor I have, and the components well organized in their boxes.

Can locate any resistor / capacitor in seconds. The same for transistors. IC's take little bit longer (due to the amount only).

I keep a huge (pre-Web) paper library and files with printed application notes and datasheets. The rest is an enormous, well discriminated bunch of documents copied to 4 different places for safety. Two are PCs and two are disks.

Opening hundred times Acrobat reader in a day? Who cares? It is made for that. Otherwise, open it in the morning and just close the document only, when done.

Links to manufacturers? Waste of time. They are chameleons. We have Google nowadays.

The best I have, besides that huge bunch of documents, my file with all my circuits and notes that saved my day (and time) many times.

If you read my postings, when somebody replies my questions I always thanks for his time. In my opinion, it is much MORE important than knowledge.

Buena suerte.

PD: forgot to tell you: been there, done that!

I wanted to make a post earlier and didn't just to see where it went. Now I can't say nothing. I am an inventor and do rely on others contributions. So, you must agree that knowledge of where you are going vs intention. I'm no fan of wasting my time. I just hope your not either and that's why you posted first to get a taste of what people would want and need.

I will have to agree with atferrari, I have google docs that have spreadsheets they are easily programmable to manage most inventory needs. Document sharing will be to the user's discretion. If you have a component that is purchased and now out of stock no big deal.

Great Idea, and good thinking. But, for the most part I can't see it as a part of what I do either. If you have a good mind keep thinking, I just don't see the need.

Sorry InventionUnlimited, by all means write the software if you want, but I'm fine with loose cataloging and OpenOffice calc sheets.

its a shame that there hasn't been a more positive response to this project, and i can uderstand the reasons. unfortunatly my inventory has grown way beyond what spreadsheets can organize efficiently. I need something to manage it, and figured that if it has the flexibility required by others then it could be useful to them also. I will be building it for my own use anyway so if you do happen to have ideas i'd love to hear them still.
I have parts drawers + bins for the majority of my parts, but now there are soo many of them, that i am now struggling to find the drawer, never mind the component.. up to e192 in almost all passives (that are available in e192) with various wattages for e96 resistors etc.

Thanks for the input so far, i understand its something that may end up only for my use - but thats no reason for it not to be the best i can make it.

OK here is where I see the response problem. For the better part your audience here is a collection of electronics home enthusiast, it is a hobby for the majority here.

What you are developing is a pretty robust parts managment complete inventory control system. You have plenty of nice features but unfortunately the majority of members here would have little to no use for them. Sceadwian covered it rather well when he said:

Sorry InventionUnlimited, by all means write the software if you want, but I'm fine with loose cataloging and OpenOffice calc sheets.

I am sure that is true of just about everyone here in this forum. Had this been a forum comprised of small business owners of manufacturing companies I am sure there would be a much greater response and and open source suggestions.

Just My Take
Ron

I guess they are fair enough comments. It just seems strange that people will use try and adapt systems that are designed for doing math, and using it as a database.

Just because you CAN use microsoft paint to generate a pcb layout, doesnt mean that it is the best way, or even a good way to do it. The majority of people would use eagle or ew or pcbfree etc because it was designed for the purpose and lets the user achieve what they are trying to do in the most efficient way possible.

Anyways, if there is not support with ideas etc, would any of you guys at least give it a look over and some feedback once i have a beta? not expecting you to use it, just a little feedback.

Regards

IU

Invention, I think you drastically underestimate the uses of Excel or similar software. As Nigel said they have full access to advanced database abilities as well as direct integration to programming code for advanced algorithms. There is very little to nothing someone that programs in Excel can't do.

I'd be glad to try it myself once you get something usable to provide feedback. But I think the general consensus is the market you think there is for such software does not exist as you see it.

Pretty impressive list.

This Trilogy Design - Parts&Vendors software is not what you want or even close, but I've included it for reference.

Thanks for the link, I downloaded the demo, and its certainly the best software I have seen so far - that is moving in the same direction of thought - shame you need to buy it. They seem to agree with my thoughts on spreadsheets. I think we need to agree on Horses for Courses, and I wouldn't expect someone who has time invested in another system to change - but for newbies it is still ncie to have everything in one place

A newb has no need for such a sophisticated management system at ALL, masking tape for labeled bins will suffice they should be able to see every device they own in their visual field on even a smaller desk, won't even need a spreadsheet =) They should be learning electronics not worrying about inventory management. The problem you perceive only exists for yourself so far.

You should take the feedback being given positively. No one is saying stop, but your goal to provide a useful piece of software to a wide variety of new users is not one that has an actual market. I've been collecting components as I come across them and some purchases for a few years now and need nothing of the sort. What you've described so far is stacking virtually every possible needed component, which a hobbyist or newb would NEVER do, they only get what they need for what they're working on.

I'm interested in the software. I've been looking for something like that, but no luck so far. A spreadsheet is not a database. I'm only interested in the desktop though, I have no desire to publish online. As a hobbyist I'd pay for the software for a reasonable cost if it had a descent user interface, but I think this would be an excellent open source project. The features you listed could take a long time to develop by yourself, and you have a limited market to sell to.

I've cranked up my ide, and begun creating one that suits my needs better - and if it works ok, then i'll release for everyone.

Hi there,

I'm Felicitus from the Hackerspace "RaumZeitLabor" located in Mannheim, Germany. We had the exact same issue that we needed a program to manage our parts list.

Excel Sheets or some kind of Access database were not appropriate, because as hackerspace, we had a very specific requirement: Users from our Hackerspace need to be able to access the database from their own computer. Since we were specifically looking for cross-platform software (read this as "*Nix/Mac/Windows software), we finally narrowed our search to web-based software. Also, if you have a large or huge amount of different parts (>1000), and probably multiple users, it becomes very difficult to track which parts you need to re-order soon as well as the current stock level of each part.

We did quite some research to see if there is something which we can use, and finally decided to use the web software PartDB (http://code.google.com/p/part-db/). I know that the software is written in German, so that won't help you much.

However, since we now have 1.700 different parts with an overall quantity of more than 30.000 pieces (and we still got plenty which we haven't inventorized yet), managing the parts becomes real hard - so we decided to do a re-write of the PartDB.

The project is currently in pre-alpha phase - our primary goal is to replicate the functionality of the original PartDB, then adding new features to it. I'm sorry that our feature list is in german so far - however, the software's code is completely written in english, as well as the user interface.

I belive we have come pretty far already, and I guess we will release a first alpha version in maybe 1-2 months. If you are interested, there is an automatic build of the project available on:

**broken link removed**

This demo system consists of a more-or-less snapshot of our current inventory, which is automatically re-built each hour. You can play around as much as you like, you can't break anything. Again, I'm sorry that most part names and categories are in german - but I think it suits well anyways to test-drive it. A little hint: Even it's a web application, you can right-click on some things to achieve functionality, e.g. right click on a category to manage them. I'm not sure if we'll keep the workflow like that, but we're open for suggestions, feature requests, bug reports (ONLY once we enter alpha stage - no need to enter bugs right now) and implementation help.

If you are interested in the code, it is maintained at **broken link removed** - feel free to fork and submit back fixes or new features!

cheers,
Felicitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back