Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Humidity Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys... I've designed a low cost humidity sensor based on previous suggestions using a carbon resistor with its coating removed. Here's the schematic I want to build:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/hygrometer-jpg.32267/

Has anybody done this before? Do I need to introduce other stabilizing parts like temperature compensation, etc.? The output it not very linear, so I plan to calibrate it using programming to linearize its output.

Attachments

• hygrometer.JPG
    hygrometer.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 4,258
Great Idea! Unfortunately I haven't made something like that but I want to.
I prefer AVR instead of PIC, I can use AtMega8 which has a pretty good ADC.

But how to do the calibration? You'll need a working very accurate humidity meter and controlled environment without air currents and a way to gradually change the humidity... Now that'll be difficult. You (and I) will also need to use accurate resistors, say, like, 0.5, max 1%

Carbon film resistors change resistance considerably with temperature changes.

There were experiments done using 0.1% metal film resistors, but after some time the measurement becomes unreliable because of oxydation of the metal film.

Philips (NXP) offers a reasonably priced (€10) humidity sensor using a gold cap of 122pF initially changing capacitance 0.4pF/%RH. This also non linear.

Boncuk

A defunct VCR can donate a humidity sensor for $0. It is located near the tape path, it is about 1cm x 1cm x 1mm, has two wires.

Carbon film resistors change resistance considerably with temperature changes.

There were experiments done using 0.1% metal film resistors, but after some time the measurement becomes unreliable because of oxydation of the metal film.

Philips (NXP) offers a reasonably priced (€10) humidity sensor using a gold cap of 122pF initially changing capacitance 0.4pF/%RH. This also non linear.

Boncuk

Thanks for the info. Are there links to the 'dissertation'? How about if the filming of the resistors use more oxide-resistant materials?

A defunct VCR can donate a humidity sensor for $0. It is located near the tape path, it is about 1cm x 1cm x 1mm, has two wires.

is the sensor capacitive or resistive? Also, do they have it in radio cassette players? Coz that- I have a lot of broken ones back here in M'sia.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess capacitive. They simply much more common.

Here is a real good humidity sensor.

It's combined temperature/humidity, calibrated during manufacturing and has a serial 16bit output.

I will use it in an incubator circuit. The PCBs are already ordered and the prototype should be finished and tested by the end of next month.

The sensor is a "Sensirion" SHT11, measuring 5.08X7.62mm

Here is the package design for Eagle.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SHT11.gif
    SHT11.gif
    7 KB · Views: 767
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back