Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Goldmine Super Surprise Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatedevr

I ordered a couple of these from Electronic Goldmine this week and I've been able to sort out what most of them are; however, there are a few goodies I can't seem to find datasheets for.

Si 129 T8642:
**broken link removed**

8436 660570 61048:
**broken link removed**

8432 660570 61047:
**broken link removed**

8416 660570 61048:
**broken link removed**

st 9344 137276:
**broken link removed**

bel 9336 0571-0033-02:
**broken link removed**

cTs 198 D-10 8345:
**broken link removed**

18B:
**broken link removed**

No part #:
**broken link removed**

12F12:
**broken link removed**

91637 742H 8661 FSCJ:
**broken link removed**

Weird blue caps with red, black, and gold dots on the top and sides:
**broken link removed**

L4.5H:
**broken link removed**

I also have a part in a TO3 shell with the part number 068023 RCA H 8345 and a part in a TO-220 package with the part number 22N50 185628.

Please post if you have any information on these parts!

Last edited:
Last one looks like a ceramic resonator, the 12F12 looks like a cap, the 18B looks like a zener.

I like electronics surprise boxes, too, and I've also bought a couple from Electronics Gold Mine. Some of the parts remain a mystery, stamped with cryptic house codes that link to long-forgotten spec sheets of old.

1) thru 5) Test as transistor or darlington. Possibly SCR or triac. Determine polarity from outside leads. You should read a voltage of one diode drop with your meter. If not, it's not a transistor and save for later. If it's a transistor, there will be one diode drop from base to collector; a darlington will have twice this value.
8642 = 42nd week of 1986
8436 = 36th week of 1984
8432 etc.
8416 etc.
9344 wow! practically brand new!
6) ??? need photo from another angle. If it's an inductor, you'll just have to measure it.
7) Resistors, probably 10 identical straight across just like it looks. Read value on ohm meter. If not 10 resisstors across, check CTS web site for other common configuratons.
8) I agree. Diode, posibly zener.
9) Could we have a pic at 45 degree angle? Are those 10 pins? Is the flat surface flexible like a transducer?
10) Polystyrene capacitor. Pretty stable.
11) Capacitor, maybe ceramic.
12) Ceramic capacitor, very popular appearance 20-30 years ago. Photo from another angle showing the dots and we might tell you the value. Mystery to me is the colored dots; all I've ever seen had printed values. Sometimes wet slug tantalums looked a little bit like this, is one lead longer than the other, or a dot or + next to one lead?
13) Ceramic resonator. Center pin ground.

Thanks for replying! Here's what I've figured out based on your post:

129 & 22N50 are NPN transistors
8416, 8432, & 8436 are PNP transistors
The st 9344 137276 is a PNP transistor with an alternate pin layout (1 is Base, 2 is collector 3 is emitter)
The 068023 RCA H 8345 is a transistor
The bel 9336 0571-0033-02 is indeed an inductor
The 1B8 diode has a .7V drop, seems to be standard
The 91637 742H 8661 FSCJ is a 8.66Kohm resistor
The cTs 198 D-10 8345 isn't a resistor network; I tested it out with a multimeter; it registers as 0ohm, so I tried putting it in and out of direct light (it looks like it could be some sort of light-sensitive part), no dice.

So that still leaves the 12F12 (it is indeed a capacitor of some sort; don't have access to a 'scope right now, so I can't tell what value it is, same goes for the resonator)

The little black circle part is hard on top and has a gold dot on the top of it on the side (significant)?

The blue capacitor has a red dot and a blue dot right next to each other on the top; on the left side is a gold dot and on the right side is a black dot.

Is the cTs 198 D-10 8345 a bank of breakable links that can be used to set an address?

The 1B8 could still be a zener; depends on the reverse breakdown voltage. Apply about 50V in series with 100k and see if it breaks down. (Although zeners are available above 50V, they are less common.)

Is the cTs 198 D-10 8345 a bank of breakable links that can be used to set an address?

I don't see how this could be used to set an address...can you post a link to an example of this type of device?

I don't see how this could be used to set an address...can you post a link to an example of this type of device?
Think of it as a DIP switch that you can only set once.

Hook one side of each link to ground. Connect the other side of the link to a pullup resistor and a logic input (TTL, micro controller input etc). If the link is broken the line will read logic 1, if the link is not broken it will read logic 0.

Code:
                 |-------- uC input or TTL input
GND---- LINK ----|
                 |-------- \/\/\/\------ VDD

These data back to the 70's. For the expermimenter they are still a way to provide a few bits of fixed data to a simple logic circuit. In most cases a EEROM would be used.

@3v0: Is there a tool that can be used to break these links? The only thing I can think of is a drill press based on the size and shape of the circles above the links, but I'm sure there's a better tool for the job.

Wow, I forgot I signed up for this forum almost 4 years ago lol. If one of the admins could merge my other account (ultimatedevr) with this one (Ultimate Dev'r) that'd be good (or we could just leave 2 ult dev's on this board :D)

As for this topic; the cTs part is indeed a bank of breakable links, but to break those links is pretty difficult...I had to use a drill press in the small holes on the top of the part to break the connections (is there a better tool to do this?)

Also, how would this part be beneficial over just tying a pin high or low with a resistor?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I to am a victim of an old component close to one mentioned here I don't see a definite answer to. How can I figure out what this thing is?

its similar to the "Weird blue caps with red, black, and gold dots on the top and sides:" from the OP, however mine have a Black on one side, Red and Orange on top, and Gold on the other side.

Both leads are the same length, Nothing on the "front or back"

Here are some crappy pics, if you need better resolution let me know and I'll upload some, but these were quick.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back