Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to try and build an electronic compass for my car! I thought it would make an interesting and challenging project. However, I have no idea how to start with it's brains!!!

I thought of using a ring of say 8 to 16 LEDs for the directional O/P and maybe a small LCD showing the bearing.

Could anyone give me any help on where to start?! Is there an IC that would do the thinking? How do I determine true north electronically, and then translate that to a bearing?

Any info would be much appreitated! The questions might get a bit more specific later on! Thanks.

I've been searching, and I haven't found anything remotely similar to what you're looking for. The project is very interesting indeed. Maybe you can get a cheap digital compass somewhere and reverse engineer the process?

Sorry bud :(

Johnson777717,

Thanks for trying and having a look for me. Your effort is appreciated.

I have been having a look around the net and on component web sites. I have discovered a SMD IC called a KMZ51. It is produced by Phillips and it is called a Magnetic Field Sensor. I have only managed to find one data sheet for it, and it wasn't very informative!
Does anyone know anything about this device? could it be what I am looking for? Failing that, how feasable is the idea of having a ring of opto sensors and some sort of weighted spndle, like a normal compass. Or a series of coils, measuring the flux through them or something!?

Any more help from anyone, would be very much appreciated

Thanks.

AN00022 from Philips contain a design of electronic compass.
If not found on web,don't hesitate, PM me.

IIRC There are a few chip manufacturers that have a ASIC for direction ( the kind you commonly see in cars and such ) .
I think Maxim/Dallas semi and Signetics have them. Also there was an article in Circuit Cellar that described the embedded design for these chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back