Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THExNUbeTUbe

So I am a electronic lover and collector, I have always loved and been into electronics especially the older stuff, problem is my skills and knowledge lack not because of effort but really it's time and being allowed you see I am married my friends and have 4 kids 1 is a feisty 9 months ... the wife finds my electronic love a lot like it is a another woman.. and me buying the stuff is like finding a receipt for 2 in my pocket for apple bees which we all know is the number 1 spot for romance... anyway over the years I have got into and built Tesla coils, marx generators and used my nst for the quick Jacob's ladder fun.... anyway I have some picks I'd like help or maybe information on what this stuff is called soni can search on it myself...any help would be great.... I know the one is a induction coil but hooking these things up to my power supply has brought 0 results... so anyway this is my 1st post so i am new to here also. Here are my items that I can not get to work.... I will post the 4 main ones I've had no luck with and the one hand cranked dynamo I'm missing 2 prongs and not sure where to get them nor what to do after I do magically find them or make them any information on that would be great...and then the next device is like 2 coils and a solid rod that all fit together. If anyone know what this is called, or used for or how it works would be so helpful. I bought it because it resembles a tesla coils secondary and it was cheap and in brand new condition, so any info on that would be very appreciated... 3rd is I believe a electronic magnet I soldered the red wire on it as it was missing that wire... I hooked up a power supplier at low volts and moved it up but it never produced and magnetism so not sure what it is or if it's just broke..... and lastly is the I believe induction coil which I'm not sure how this is different from the old car spark gap coils as they look the same but this one is made for scientific uses... also not sure what the middle prongs and metal parts are for..the 2 prongs on the outer area I hooked up to a power supply and put 2 metal rods up top and also never got any sparks or effects I was hoping to see... anyway sorry for the length of this... you can email me also with any info..

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_044406.jpg
    IMG_20210731_044406.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 16278644145086650972979638112531.jpg
    16278644145086650972979638112531.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
  • 16278644558904303213330759228233.jpg
    16278644558904303213330759228233.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 225
  • 20210722_144509.jpg
    20210722_144509.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 226
  • 20210613_023816.jpg
    20210613_023816.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  • 20210613_023740.jpg
    20210613_023740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
  • 20210613_023630.jpg
    20210613_023630.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 20210613_030320.jpg
    20210613_030320.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
The first one looks to be a school demonstration for a motor or generator.
The coil underneath would provide the field and the brushes are for the commutator.

With them in the position nearest the windings, they are on a commutator so the output would be DC. or at least constant polarity. With them move to the other position, they run on slip rings so the output would be AC.

It's a literal representation of the classic generator & motor type diagrams:

fig10-260.jpg 14177_15_1.jpg

The second looks to be a transformer or induction demonstrator unit.

The photos of the other two do not show enough detail - though the third could be an electromagnet demonstrator.

I'd guess they are all school physics lab demos.

the first is a generator demonstrator... the empty posts are for moving the brushes from the DC commutator, to the slip rings to change the generator output from DC to AC...

the second is a transformer demonstrator with a removable iron rod core. the heavy gauge wire has many fewer turns so this can be used to step up or step down depending on which winding you use as the primary and secondary. with low frequencies like what you would get out of the demo generator in AC operation, the iron core improves the efficiency of the transformer

the third item is a horsheshoe electromagnet, which would become magnetized when you pass DC current through it, and de-energize when the current stops.

the last item is a buzzer box that uses an electromagnet and an interrupter in series with the electromagnet. when current magnetizes the electromagnet, it pulls in on the interrupter breaking the circuit, de-energizing the electromagnet. the interrupter makes contact again, re-energizing the coil, drawing the interrupter in again. the interrupter motion back and forth makes a buzzing noise, and the wood box acts as a sounding board.

Last edited:
Thank you all.. so the one with the rod is just used to step up or down transformers?? Can it be adjusted.... and 2nd so the wooden box would not produce a arc or spark is 2 rods were put up top through the 2 prong or knob like things coming off the top

Can it be adjusted.... and 2nd so the wooden box would not produce a arc or spark is 2 rods were put up top through the 2 prong or knob like things coming off the top
the transformer efficiency or coupling can be adjusted with the rod. as for the box it depends on exactly what is inside it... if it's the green forked electromagnet, it's just a buzzer box, but if it's got something else in it, like something resembling the transformer, then it could be an induction coil for making high voltage sparks, and the interrupter at the end acts the same way as the buzzer, except like the transformer takes the current pulses and turns them into high voltage AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back