Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrolysis Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more accepted scientific term for HHO is Brown's gas and yes you can run internal combustion engines using it as fuel but there is a load more background work and engine modifications required other than just making an electrolysis cell and stuffing its gas output into any old engines intake.

How complicated do you want the truth to be? :wideyed:

My intention is to use the expansion of splitting H2O into H2 and O2 to push either side of a piston, then to ignite those gasses to provide the necessary force to displace the water contained in an enclosed receptacle, where the newly formed H2O molecules will replace the ones that were just displaced.

I know he said Stirling engine like but this part sounds like internal combustion whereas a Stirling cycle engine is generally defined as a external combustion engine.

Too be honest a number of his statements come off as contradictory so I have no real idea what he is referring to especially if his goal is to take electrical power as the starting point and end with mechanical motion and be the most efficient as possible in the conversion.

I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP's state of mind.

Reinventing the wheel has a colorful and myriad history. Just because it's been done before doesn't preclude it being done again. And again... Still entertaining to try though (I have some experience here...:woot:).

But... ,

Billy S., please understand that any forum you might visit that's worth its salt will be, first and foremost, concerned with your safety. If its members are not of that mind, you need to leave that forum.

What you are suggesting, while admirable in its scope, is most notably dangerous (things could flash and go BOOM) and impractical (WAY more energy goes in than will ever come out). It would be a disservice to you and any current or future members/visitors to this site if those admonitions were not clearly provided to you.

And, equally, if ETO's members, by whatever means, did not attempt to thoroughly discourage you from following your line(s) of thought then that, too, would be a significant disservice to you.

That said, as a suggestion, break your concept into its individual systems and investigate them one at a time, each in its turn.

Last edited:
Too be honest a number of his statements come off as contradictory

For example, "1. For anyone with chemistry knowledge, in terms of volume, how many liters (or whichever unit of measurement you prefer) of HHO gas will be produced from one liter of gas at SATP?" in BillyS's first post. Both alec_t and I asked what the second gas was, and the response has been HHO. So, that sentence translates to how much HHO will be produced from HHO.

Nevertheless, I think he is young and from a small town in Minnesota. It used to be just a truck stop between Rochester and the Twin Cities. Google shows it has grown some since then. I can't see shutting him down, thought, if he stays on track to do an electrolysis experiment safely.

John

So did skippy see the light or do some experimenting and go into the light? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back