Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electroluminescent Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjg

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has ever used this before. I have a project that requires me to run EL Wire on minumum voltage (1-5V). The EL Wire that I have come across on the web requires 100-120VAC to run though.

Anyone know of any companies that make EL Wire using low voltage ? If not, anything lower than 120V ?

How about any ideas on how I can turn 5VDC into 120VAC using an IC ?

Thanx

I don't know aything about using an EL wire but if you are trying to step up a voltage from a low dc to a high dc you have two options.

1) Use a charge pump - this is a basically a capacitor-diode network, I think you can buy them on chips, they are certainly incorporated into a lot of IC's but I don't know if you will be able to find any that meet your specifications. They are only suitable for drawing low currents.

2) The second option is to use a switch mode power supply (SMPS) these can step the voltage up as well as down. You can buy tem as small modules that can be mounted on a pcb, but again I don't know if you will find any to step from such a low voltage to such a high voltage. you can also build them around an IC using this method you will certainly be able to build a circuit that can step the voltag up to your required voltage. The design work incolved in building these circuits is a little more involved, often you have to wind your own transformers. I am working on a SMPS that steps a 24V supply up to a 1.3kV supply so you can increase the voltage by quiet a lot. If you decide to build a SMPS and need more help just ask, I'm not an expert but know a little about it so I might be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back