Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electro-polishing kit or "how to"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
szzuk - You didn't say how small the holes were. I found this while looking for something else in my computer and thought of your problem

https://www.microcut.ch/en/index.php

Another thing that works to finish the inside of holes, if they are large enough diameter is called 'ball burnishing' Basically you push a ball through the hole after lubricating the hole first. But the hole has to be large enough to be able to use a large enough rod to take the force of pushing.

The holes are 20 microns / 0.02mm in diameter. The holes are laser drilled but the process of lasering throws up debris/melt which can partially block the holes reducing the flow of water through them, when polished more water goes through.

It is interesting that boring can go down to 15 microns I thought only a laser could get down to these sizes. The boring would leave the holes a lot smoother than a laser and perhaps mean I wouldn't need the part polished. I will give them a call after the holidays and see if they can do it. Thanks for the link.

It would appear you need to clean the holes more so then polish them, have you considered using a ultrasonic bath.

Its a very effective method of cleaning fine particals from an object.

The part is intended for use in an ultrasonic bath so I can remove dirt via this route without difficulty, I need to physically remove stainless steel from the part.

On reflection probably sulphuric acid at lower concentrations would work, that would be safer, but still the topic of this post is "Electro-polishing kit". The reason there are no kits is because its not the sort of thing that should be done in a shed and whoever supplied them would get sued into bankrupcy by the inevitable accidents. I've made a list of electropolishing companies to contact along with microcut, one of them will do it for not much money, its just a pain finding the right one, and if I could do it myself safely I would.

szzuk - Not really knowing what your trying to do makes it harder to help :) If your really talking about 20 micron, your talking more about a filter than a nozzle/injector. 20 micron is only 0.000787 inches. I don't think you'll get much water through a hole that size. Not without more pressure than a ultra-sonic transducer can provide. If you add in any dirt that gets into the bath then your really screwed.

Think about a oil filter in a car engine, if you tried to filter oil through just a few holes it wouldn't work very good. The element in a oil filter has small holes but is made of around 10 feet of paper if you take one apart and stretch it out.

Again, not knowing what you doing, have you thought of using stainless filter mesh? It's available to very small mesh, down to 0.001 inch. **broken link removed**

I would really like to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back