Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

does anyone know how the electric welding sets work(the ones without gast)? what sort of power do they use and what sort of electronics?

arc welders ?
turn 110 or 220 V to low voltage high current
it is basically a transformer..

Welding transformers are specially designed so they don't blow a fuse when the secondary is shorted. You could use a standard transformer with an inductor in series with the output. The output voltage must be less than 50 volts to avoid getting fatally shocked. The required output current depends on how big a thing is to be welded. 100 amps will do most jobs altho commercial welders usually go higher.

actually the amp setting depends on the size rod you are using. A good rule of thumb is to set the amps to the decimal equivelent of the rod. so a 1/8" rod is .125" decimal, so you would want your welder at 125Amps. not that it's really important...

Also, the heat that fuses the metal is generated by the arc jumping through the air.

The mig welders require the gas supply. They use the same prinicple to do the welding, but the gas (Co2 or Argon) shields the weld from all the chemicals in the air that would bond to the weld. without the gas you get a weld that is all pitted and not very strong. and for the arc welders the shielding gas is created by the chemicals that are on the rod.

During my senior year of Highschool, I took a nightschool class taught by the Iron Workers union. I even got Ohio Bridgecode certified in it.

A welding transformer will still blow a fuse if shorted, but with the few mOhms the heavy gauge wire add to the circuit there is no problem.

Ante :roll:

thanks for all the replys. :) It shurely cleard my mind. But is there any website about it? I searcherd howstuffworcs.com but they dont know this subject :(

welding

I have a small wire feed welder, a MIG or metal inert gas (iirc)
I don't use gas but flux core wire. The flux makes enough smoke around the arc (to shield it from the o2 in the air). It make more of a mess (spatter) but works in a breeze better than gas.
My machine only occasionaly trips the 15amp gfi breaker.
It has a wire speed knob and an amp knob. fooling with them gets the action right for the material.

The big stick arc machines rely on the flux outside the stick to make smoke to sheild the molten metal from the air.
There are dozens of kinds of sticks.
Some early rods were like coat hanger wraped in news paper.

youp the last link shows it all :D I gogeld a bit miself but never tripped on that link :( oh well now it is here and all my troubles are solved :)

thanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back