Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Pet Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherBro

I have a small terrier type dog that loves to dig her way out of my garden onto a busy road. She tends to dig these holes in places that are virtually inaccessable to me making it very difficult to block them off. And, of course, I do not know she has dug them until she has escaped! To try and deter her I have purchased a small electric fence energiser and run the wire along the fence.
I have noticed that, as the fence produces pulses about every 2 seconds, she is quite able to make her escape between pulses.
Is anyone aware of a system that keeps the wire permantly live with some sort of current sensor (and limiter) that cuts the power if the current rises above, say, 1mA? It would then reconnect the power after a short period, 1 ~ 2 seconds maybe, repeating this cycle as necessary. I believe electricity supply companies use a similar system on a far larger scale to protect overhead lines. There could be various refinements such as a buzzer to indicate 'tripping' and maybe an automatic zeroing system to permit leakage thro. plants etc.
This is really a matter for discussion at this stage but I may be tempted to construct something on these lines if necessary.

This is not an electrical answer, and might not even be the right thing for you, but I buried rusty, discarded, chain link fencing just under the sod around my perimeter. That stopped any number of dogs from tunneling out for over ten years. It might still be there, but I don't have dogs now.

Hi Fatherbro,

I suggest to train your girly dog not to dig underneath the fence. Take her out into the garden and don't forget to take along a modified mosquito zapper.

As soon as she starts digging give her a gentle shock. You should do it the a way she won't know you did it.

She'll learn pretty quickly that it hurts digging underneath the fence.

Dogs cannot think, but they are able to combine certain activities with certain results and learn from that experience.

Boncuk

That reminds me...I used to sneak up on the puppys with a flyswatter when they were nose down in a hole they were digging. Somehow they connected digging holes with their butt hurting**broken link removed** I only had to do that twice...once for each litter.

That reminds me...I used to sneak up on the puppys with a flyswatter when they were nose down in a hole they were digging. Somehow they connected digging holes with their butt hurting**broken link removed** I only had to do that twice...once for each litter.

Dogs can even learn more. I had no fence around my 3,000square meter garden in Northern Germany. My dog (mother: German Shepard, father: Irish Setter) learnt easily not to leave the garden after I took him around and showed him the border.

Boncuk

That's how the mama dog acted. I could point to a door and tell her, "NO" and she wouldn't walk through that door until I told her to. I could fence her in with a piece of chalk!

My Lab has gotten out a few times, but mostly think it was just dumb luck on his part, just saw or smelled something he wanted, and went for it. The fence is an old wooden privacy, which he could push right through if he really wanted out. Been about a year since his last escape. My last dog was a huge, Rottweiler-Curr mix, he always stayed close. Could even leave the doors open for the cat, and he would take off. Walked him off the leash most of the time, and would usually wait outside of stores, if I need something, but he would go in, if I took too long or it was really hot outside. Great thing about a small town, most of the locals don't freak out, but the tourists are terrified seeing a 140 lb dog roaming free.

Electric fence would be bad, and only temporary. Bummer if the dog took a leak on the wire, or a rainy day.

combine certain activities with certain results and learn from that experience.
interesting. years ago my now "deceased" cat did "big business" behind the kitchen door a few times. Each of 'em earned a shove of it's nose into the "pile". It never did shi^ted in the house after a few punishments.

interesting. years ago my now "deceased" cat did "big business" behind the kitchen door a few times. Each of 'em earned a shove of it's nose into the "pile". It never did shi^ted in the house after a few punishments.

Is this why the cat is deceases, and never messed again?

Once again, friends,

there is no need to keep your pet(s) inside the garden using electric shock devices etc.

Keep the environment pleasant for your pets and they will never leave the place.

My canaries (Harzer Roller) used to free flight all over the garden competing with the sparrows' "songs". (Guess which one was the winner. :) )

None of them forgot to return to his sleeping place in the evening.

Just be good and they'll be good to you.

Boncuk

My canaries (Harzer Roller) used to free flight all over the garden competing with the sparrows' "songs". (Guess which one was the winner. :) )
Did you have any problems with predators: cats, foxes and bigger birds?

Yes, of course I have that experience daily.

Foreign cats don't want to climb the walls anymore. My cats don't like to leave the garden anymore and the dogs are well trained not to leave the garden when the gate is open. (training)

Foxes are unknwown in Thailand and bigger birds better not dive into the garden.

They'd be eaten up by three cats and two dogs faster than they imagine.

Rule: Keep your pets a little bit hungry all day long. They'll catch whatever gets into their path. Mine do it unisolo! :D

Kind regards, not the same environment as in the UK,

Boncuk

Greetings Everyone. I seem to have started a discussion on animal behaviour! And thank you for the various suggestions. I mentioned that she tends to dig her way out where it is difficult for me to get to, i.e. the gap between the fence and the shed or behind shrubs. I close off these gaps that I can get to as soon as possible but she waits until I'm looking the other way and digs like mad or so it seems.
I also noted the comment that 'always on' fencers may not be legal, that's probably why they don't seem to exist.
For the moment she seems to have stopped digging, I think it's a matter of when she's on heat so I may have a few months peace now.
Once again Thank You.
IanB
(FatherBro)

I've modified a design for an electric fence I use to keep deer out of my garden, it has a variable pulse width setting from 0.5 to 6.0 msec and a pulse rate variable from 1 pulse every 1.7 seconds to 4.5 pulses per second. It uses an automotive ignition coil so the voltage is fairly high, but is no more harmful then getting zapped from a spark plug. Reply if your interested in the schematic.

That's how the mama dog acted. I could point to a door and tell her, "NO" and she wouldn't walk through that door until I told her to. I could fence her in with a piece of chalk!

The secret is to talk "animalish". Even my crow followed me whenever she could. :)

Did you have any problems with predators: cats, foxes and bigger birds?

bigger birds :rolleyes:.... I once had a peacock coming into my compound a few times (my house's located beside a small jungle). It could fly (or jump?) a short distance. Man, the noise it makes.. I cannot describe it though. It's like a a squeak, but much louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back