Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric motor setup for 1rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
does a speed controller act as an inverter?

No, speed controllers can work several different ways depending on the motor. Also, finding a motor and speed controller that will run on 120 VAC with a line cord shouldn't be a problem. I saw back there you mentioned I believe 30 to 100 RPM? What was that about? Not a problem but thought you wanted 1 RPM? You can find small very light application 1 RPM AC synchronous gear motors pretty cheap. They won't drive much.

Ron

So, what do you really need? Torque?

You can measure Torque with a spring scale. Distance combined with force to pull.
I wanted to know how much torque, I needed to pull on curtain. Used caned weights (canned goods) until it moved, then the gear size I used. So, you get ft-lbs or in my case inch-lbs.

Thank you -

How do I know what motor this speed controller will cover? We're now looking at up to 1.2 amp 1/8" hp 130v DC. Also note it states there is a brake - does this require a special motor?

**broken link removed**

When you control a DC motor you basically have 4 modes:
FWD
REV
BRAKE
COAST

Motor control is usually done with a circuit called an H-Bridge. It looks like transistors or FETS arranged in an "H" configuration. It allows reversal of polarity with a single supply. "Braking" basically means, turn the motor off, and at that point it;s acting as a DC generator. If you vary the load, or even short the motor it stops nearly instantaneously. Coasting is basically just turning the motor off.

It;s easier to provide a NOT ENABLE and a DIRECTION input to implement FWD/REV. Not enable is an artifact because most processors (that may provide the PWM) on power up are cofigured as inputs. You generally don;t want the motor to move until the processor has completed it's initialization cycle.

real TTL logic ( a common logic form used to float high), so an unconnected input (the NOT ENABLE) signal would not move the motor.

BRAKE is often eliminated as a control mode.

PWM is called pulse width modulation. It generally allows the full torque at low speeds because the motor sees close to it's designed voltage. Some PWM controller won;t reach 100%. They might reach 98%. EXTREMELY slow speeds depend on what it takes to overcome frictional losses.

PWM varies the duty cycle On/Off time in % that the motor sees.

Single direction control is obviously cheaper.

Thank you -

How do I know what motor this speed controller will cover? We're now looking at up to 1.2 amp 1/8" hp 130v DC. Also note it states there is a brake - does this require a special motor?

**broken link removed**

What you have linked to is an old Bodine ASH series motor speed controller. These were used with the older Bodine brush type DC motors. There is a 4 wire cable that will exit the unit. Two wires are a fixed DC voltage around 90 volts and I am working from memory, and two wires with an adjustable DC voltage out. Two wires are for the motor field winding and two are for the armature winding. I can't remember if the field is fixed voltage and the armature is varied or vise verse. I think with the ASH series Bodine controllers the higher the ASH Model Number the higher the current out for the higher HP motors. It's been maybe 15 plus years since I used those old motors. At one time I actually had manuals which are now long gone. The FWD and REV merely reverses the + and - outputs to either the field or armature. The Brake I think simply removes power from the armature or field and shorts the motor winding. Again, it has been a long time. The controller you linked to is designed for brush type Bodine DC motors. I don't know if it will work with other similar designed motors.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back