Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electric motor setup for 1rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddil

Hello all,

I have a project that requires a gear motor to be reduced to 1 rpm. Currently the motor is rated for 1700rpm, and already geared 30:1 for 56.7rpm. The plan for further reduction is to mate the shaft into another speed reducer of 50:1. I am interested to know what will be the best capacitor and arrangement to have this plug directly into the wall with a speed controller to perhaps get the range of rpm between 1.25rpm and .75rpm. We need the motor to be reliable for a lot of on/off. Motor also comes with two blue and two black wires.

motor specs - bodine 115 ac, .88amp, 1700rpm, phase 1, 1/50hp, cy. 60

IMG_3354.JPG

Thank you - how do I know what size capacitor to use and what may be done to regulate speed safely and reliably?

You have an old Bodine motor. I do not think your motor requires a cap to reverse direction and here is why:

Bodine Name Plate.png

Bodine motors that use a cap generally call it out on the name plate as seen above where it states Use 5 MFD. Capacitor.

Here is what I suggest you try. Your Black and Blue wires should be Armature and Field leads. Blue for Armature and Black for the Field I think and don't hold me to that. Tie a blue and black together and the remaining blue and black together. Apply 120 VAC 60 Hz to each Blue and Black pair. The motor should run. Note the direction. Now reverse the two Blue wires and power it again. Does it run in the reverse direction? Let's see if that works.

Ron

Thank you - totally don't know what I am doing. Put a black and blue with power and the other black and blue to negative. Turned, and got lots of smoke. aye! Do you think I fried it?

Negative? It's an AC motor, what negative? OK, below is about what you should have. This is a pretty old Bodine Motor and one of mine. Like yours the nameplate states 115 VAC. The wires are actually blue and black but use the old cloth insulation which is pretty faded. This is what I meant when I said connect each blue to a black. That gives me two sets of leads which go to my 115 VAC (115 Volts AC) house mains power from a wall outlet.

Bodine Motor Small.png

Your motor should work the same. Can't immagine how you got smoke? This was a good motor correct or could this have been a bad motor? :)

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you Reloadron. Seeing your wiring, I believe I did perform proper connection. The only difference is I used a wire that had one of those old style on/off switches that looks like a fat tootsie roll and a circular roller. Thank you Tony Stewart for the service email and additional info.

Yeah, as Tony mentioned a call or email to Bodine will get you results. Bodine is really good about help has been my experience over the years.

Ron

Thanks for all the help. With the smoke that came out of this sucker yesterday we're thinking it may be busted and perhaps best to not plug in again. I am wondering who would carry motors like this and perhaps speed reducers second hand? Is this type of motor a general industrial supply type item? Is there anyone in CT, NY, NJ that people on the forum can recommend for a large selection of motor, gears, pulleys, u-joints, etc.

Thanks for all the help. With the smoke that came out of this sucker yesterday we're thinking it may be busted and perhaps best to not plug in again. I am wondering who would carry motors like this and perhaps speed reducers second hand? Is this type of motor a general industrial supply type item? Is there anyone in CT, NY, NJ that people on the forum can recommend for a large selection of motor, gears, pulleys, u-joints, etc.

As to new Grainger as mentioned is good. Knowing the torque requirements would help? Another good source would be McMaster Carr Supply, here is a motor example. Motors, couplings and just about anything else depending on your needs. As to used? Try a Google for your area of Industrial Surplus. For example I am in Cleveland, Ohio suburbs so I Google "Industrial Surplus Cleveland Ohio" and I get HGR Industrial Surplus a place I know and love. :) Literally hundreds of motors to look at turn up at HGR. Again knowing the required torque for your application is important, making sure the motor will drive the load.

Ron

Thank you so much Ron. I really appreciate all the support and outreach from everyone.

We're experiencing a little bit of a learning curve, and are bummed about knowing our motor is blown or on the way out.

We are interested in someone who may be able to help us with a custom setup already rigged with maybe a few old, but good and heavy duty working components.

We need a gear motor that outputs between 20 and 100 rpm. The shaft should be at least 1.5", either 1/2" or 5/8" diameter. Between 1/50th and 1/15 hp 115v would be great. Speed controller would be great. The power needs to go into a standard house outlet plug on a 25' cord. Speed controller we would like to have about 20' from the operating unit. We would like to stay under $350 shipped. We have a time frame of 1 week + shipping time UPS. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you are looking for a PM (Permanent Magnet) DC Straight Shaft Gear Motor, Typically 90 VDC and then you get the speed controller. Getting a motor and controller isn't the problem, staying in your budget is a problem. You might find something that is inexpensive imported from China. I know Dayton Motors did make some lower priced versions also. Even the Bodine motor you had may not have been able to be speed controlled. Anyway, looking at your budget and time constrictions I would call Grainger Supply locally and see what they may be able to put together for you on the inexpensive side. That would be a good start. You can also try other Industrial Supply type houses. Good variable speed motors be they AC or DC can be costly unfortunately. Also, you can try a call to Automation Direct:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...up_to_.25HP)/90_VDC_Parallel_Shaft_Gearmotors

Ron

Last edited:
You need to test that motor with an RPM gauge I think you will find it runs a different speed than it listed on the tag.

Last edited:
I was thinking of connecting to a speed reducer. They have some on ebay 10:1, 50:1, 100:1.

I will keep the hunt going and the questions rolling. With a DC setup, I will need the motor and speed controller? does the speed controller act as an inverter?

If you don't need a lot of torque, an AC synchronous motor can easily be had to go to 1 RPM. https://www.hurst-motors.com/permanentmagnetacsynchronous.html I don't look at the specs, but I think some have a clutch/brake capability.

I did a successful project that had to apriori (calculate) how long to turn the motor to renew a shutter coving material. The spool diameter increased, so the timing changed. A turns dial was used for the calibration. It had to advance every 2 minutes.

Frequency, not voltage varies the speed of a synchonous motor. Mikeml and myself have both designed systems that ran of of 12 VDC and operated a telescope positioner that used a 120 VAC synchonous motor.

I've used Hurst motors in the past.

Can you use a different motor? The motors that turne inside a microwave oven are very accurage 3 RPMs. All you need to do is use 3 to 1 ratio belt and pully or gears to get 1 RPM.

You can buy this type motor that is 1 RPM check Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back