Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Motor Dismantle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Musicmanager
Thank you for your reply,

I think I’ll go down the buy a kit avenue and stuff the bearings on a shelf, then buy some branded ones and hopefully they will last longer.

Hi Nigel

I think the machine has lasted well and as I said I don’t like the idea of the new ones being sealed up and the bearings being smaller.

I’m happy with the machine I’ve got, I suppose at the end of the day it’s a matter of opinion, some people would simply rather go out and buy new which I’m not against at all.

Hi Nigel

I think the machine has lasted well and as I said I don’t like the idea of the new ones being sealed up and the bearings being smaller.

I’m happy with the machine I’ve got, I suppose at the end of the day it’s a matter of opinion, some people would simply rather go out and buy new which I’m not against at all.

If you're happy, and don't mind spending time and money doing frequent repairs, then that's fine. But we used to sell Hotpoint, Bosch (and a few others), and the reliability of Hotpoint over the last 40 or so years has been pretty abysmal compared with others - in particular brush failures and drum bearings were always the biggest issues.

We went to an Indesit one (to deliver a new Bosch to replace it), and it had 'exploded' - they didn't want the old taking away, as they were expecting Indesit to come out and examine it (I don't think they ever did). It looked like the drum bearing had failed totally while on spin, the drum was just a pile of bits, the sides of the outer casing were domed outwards, and the concrete block had smashed up through the top of the machine :eek:

A little googling at the time proved it was fairly common on Indesit/Hotpoint machines:

Ah, washing machines, takes me back to the days when I had a summer job in the local radio/tv/domestic appliance shop.

Hoover twin tub washing machine, easy to repair, all part accessible when the back panel is off, and easy for a strapping 19/20 year old to pick up and load into the back of an Austin A55 van with worn out shock absorbers.

Please excuse the thread drift.

JimB

Ah, washing machines, takes me back to the days when I had a summer job in the local radio/tv/domestic appliance shop.

Hoover twin tub washing machine, easy to repair, all part accessible when the back panel is off, and easy for a strapping 19/20 year old to pick up and load into the back of an Austin A55 van with worn out shock absorbers.

We never did washer repairs, no point as warranty repairs were done by the manufacturers directly - and even if you did washer repairs you weren't allowed to do the warranty ones. Also the service department was upstairs! :D

TV & Radio, different story, you HAD to do the warranty repairs to them - unpaid as well - although you could get the parts for 'free', often dependent on returning the old ones. In later years you usually got a small fixed 'contribution' towards your labour costs as well.

For the same reasons, we also did warranty repairs to Microwave Ovens, plus Vax and Panasonic vacuum cleaners.

Ah, washing machines, takes me back to the days when I had a summer job in the local radio/tv/domestic appliance shop.. .. .. .. .. .
.. .. … .. .. .. .. .. .easy for a strapping 19/20 year old to pick up and load

Weren't they called Mangles in those days Jim ?

1589555854989.png

:) S

Weren't they called Mangles in those days Jim ?
Yes, I also repaired ones with mangles on them as well.

On the TV and washing machine theme, the place where I worked during my summer holidays was a local radio/tv/washing machine/vacuum cleaner/bicycle dealer in a mining village in South Yorkshire. The owner of this enterprise had a total of three shops with tow of them in other villages a few miles away. This was in the late 1960s.
I think that his biggest earner was rentals, mostly second hand TVs and washing machines. Many of the TVs were fitted with slot meters so that to watch tv you had to put money in the slot. Every couple of weeks, the slots were emptied.

Does that sort of thing still happen? Domestic appliance rentals.

JimB

Yes, I also repaired ones with mangles on them as well.

On the TV and washing machine theme, the place where I worked during my summer holidays was a local radio/tv/washing machine/vacuum cleaner/bicycle dealer in a mining village in South Yorkshire. The owner of this enterprise had a total of three shops with tow of them in other villages a few miles away. This was in the late 1960s.

Who was that then? - not Frank Smith by any chance?.

I think that his biggest earner was rentals, mostly second hand TVs and washing machines. Many of the TVs were fitted with slot meters so that to watch tv you had to put money in the slot. Every couple of weeks, the slots were emptied.

Does that sort of thing still happen? Domestic appliance rentals.

Yes it does, a couple of local washer repair guys used to rent machines out on a small scale, and a fairly local shop used to rent them out on a slighter larger scale - but we delivered a washing machine to a lady who had one on rental from that shop, and they had been taken over by a national chain who rented washing machines. She bought one from us because the national chain had upped the price stupidly, and as they didn't have a local presence the service was going to be much poorer.

Who was that then? - not Frank Smith by any chance?.
No not him.

The head of the company was Wilf Boylan, his son Mike (or was it Mick) and his daughter (cant remember her name) and son in law Tony were what would now be called key players in the firm.
The shops were in Conisbrough, Denaby and Edlington.

JimB

No not him.

The head of the company was Wilf Boylan, his son Mike (or was it Mick) and his daughter (cant remember her name) and son in law Tony were what would now be called key players in the firm.
The shops were in Conisbrough, Denaby and Edlington.

Slightly too far North then :D

I've heard of Conisbrough though, and 'may' have travelled through it? - I might have travelled through the others and not noticed?.

Conisbrough has a prominent Norman castle, if you went from Rotherham to Doncaster without going on the M18, you would go through Conisbrough.

Denaby and Edlington, you would probably not go there unless you were going there. If you get my meaning.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back