Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Education advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

Let me tell you guys about my current situation, I have an Associates degree in electronics, and now I am two semesters away from my bachelors degree in EET (Electronics Engineer Technology). I realize that this isn't the same as a real EE degree, but I cant afford to go for EE as the schools are outrageous and I think having an EET is better than not having any degree at all.

My problem is that I'm interested in a lot of things including computer programming and IT, recently programming has become more of a passion of mine than electronics. I really want to blend the two together and get an emebedded systems type job.

What are my chances of getting into the embedded systems arena with an EET degree? I have hobbies with programming in C and C++ and assembly, I was even thinking about switching majors to CET (Computer Engineering Technology), but this would add two more semesters to my graduation and I also can not afford it as my loans are almost maxed out.

I am also looking toward FE and PE exams after I get my bachelors, is there any certifications I can get that will help my chances in programming and embedded system type jobs? Or should I just try to switch my major to CET?

Does anyone here have a CET or EET degree that can offer advice or insight? What can you expect in the job field?

I am also interested in the medical field, I want to get an internship in the medical field this fall hopefully.

Also I do not want to start a EE vs EET debate

Last edited:
IMHO the schooling is key....I run an electronic design company, where my apprentice and I do quite a bit of design work My apprentice is now at diploma level and is doing fine.. He probably wont get his degree, but that won't matter... What I look for is the ability to learn... That's why I say schooling is key, The meer fact that you have done a degree in EET will have some standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back