Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Harding

What is the way to make an LED, (green), 'flash, using 2x1.5v power supply.
The thing im looking for is it HAS to made into the smallest possible circuit as i need it to fit in a small slot.

So far i have one using a 555 timer chip. Its too large and not what im looking for.

Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• on.jpg
    on.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 507
tiny LED flasher

The only trouble with self-contained flashing LEDs is finding one that runs off of 3V (those from Maplin take a 9V supply). Is the size of your power source an issue as well, or is it only the size of the flasher that matters?

For flashing circuits, it's hard to get much smaller than a 555 in surface mount, the timing cap is probably the largest component. You can browse through some more flasher circuits here

http://www.discovercircuits.com/L/lite-flash.htm

There was also a thread a while back on a similar topic

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...t-an-double-byte-from-telnet-ccs-coding.6602/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Harding said:
What is the way to make an LED, (green), 'flash, using 2x1.5v power supply.
The thing im looking for is it HAS to made into the smallest possible circuit as i need it to fit in a small slot.

So far i have one using a 555 timer chip. Its too large and not what im looking for.

Thanks in advanced

The smallest possible, a pic10F with a little program to make it flash...
SOT23 size...

Pic10F

Very cool Exo, hadn't seen that yet. Internal 4Mhz osc, lots of possibilities for miniature circuits. Too bad one of the pins is input only, 4 full I/Os would be nice. Still, it's a lot of power packed into a tiny SOT-23 package.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/06/41239A.pdf

Edit: update 6/17/04 - I asked uChip tech support about the I/O count and got a quick response. "It has to do with the input structure for this pin, which also doubles as external MCLR#/Vpp; a design trade-off was made to keep the cost of the device down. "

My beef was that with 4 I/Os, you could drive up to 12 LEDs using the complementary LED drive method (aka n-connectedness, n^2 - n), vs. only 6 LEDs with 3 I/Os. Driving 12 LEDs from a single SOT-23 package would be impressive.

What you want is a LM3909, a dedicated LED flasher in a 8 pin DIL, with only one capacitor required. All this works off 1x1.5v battery, and will typically flash an LED for about 8 months :D Trouble is they seem to be a little hard to find these days...

LM3909

Trouble is they seem to be a little hard to find these days...
substitute "impossible"

I agree Olly, it was a very nice design in it's day :). The original app note from NS is brilliant. Maybe someone knows where to source a SMT version of the LM3909? An old rule of thumb (US), if you can't find it from Digi-key, find another part. They run a good business, and source parts that get used. Not to mention NatSemi discontinued this one several years ago. Yes, it's a chicken and egg argument, follow it if you want a safety margin. Digi-key saved my butt at crunch time more than once, loyalty naturally follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back