Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy Power MOSFET Substitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric_EyE

Hi guys, I need some help with MOSFET design. I am modifying a PWM motor driver circuit. The original circuit has an N-channel mosfet IRFZ48N, good for about 50 amps. I need more like 200 amps. Can I substitute in another N-channel MOSFET? I am looking at an STE250NS10, which is good for 200+ amps. Here is the schematic... TIA

Attachments

• Fig 22.jpg
    Fig 22.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 207
You didn't mention your switching frequency.

If your frequency is high, you're going to have to redesign your gate drive circuit so it can handle 31nF instead of the IRFZ48N's 1.9nF. With your 12 ohm pullup resistor it might be awfully slow.

Also beware that although the transistor might handle 220A, a ring terminal held by an M4 screw is another story.

I'm anticipating upper frequency of 10kHz. But it might be closer to 1kHz most of the time. I'm going to be experimenting with that. Thanks for you help. Is there an easy way to get around the pull-up resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back