Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earphones and strong magnetic field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pohjanpoika

Ok well i have a problem .. i have this expencive MP3/Radio and i have protected it with antimagnetic bag which was orginally for Geforce displaycard.. Well that works and it stops the magnetic field destroying the player. I am a welder and the machine creates strong field and my earphones just stops working after short period .. Is there a way to protect them, or is there some sort of magnetic resistable earphones in the market ..

Sorry for bad english and greetings from Finland

By: Petja From

Those are antistatic bags.

They protect sesitive digital stuff from static shock.CMOS is very sesitive to this.Magetic filed should not afect it unles the field is very strong.

You may have an EMP problem this is electromegetic pulse.Its kidna like an pusle or concentrated radio waves.This can throw some sensitive stuff off because an electric curent is induced in the wires.But you need an very strong pulse to do permanent damage.

Close ligthing hits make a lot of EMP.I could once hear ligthing in my PC spekers.The speakers gave an scratch sound right when it flashed violently and not much after that an VERY loud bang. But still all digital stuff continued to work normaly.Once lighthing hit the power lines here.In our house the only thing fryed was an 1 Amp fuse.

It's not the earphones. If a magnetic field was strong enough to stop speakers or your earphones from working, it would probably yank the earphones off your head :lol:

What's happening is probably what someone electro said. You're getting interference from your welder in your MP3 unit. The simplest solution to this problem would be to get a longer headphone cord. Also, make sure there are no electronic devices other than speakers on your headphone or along the cord to the headphone, like a pause/play button.

Earphones broke

First thank you for those posts.

My earphones broke . Left one is almost useless because lack of volume and bass. Right side phone plays some more volume but the bass is missing completely.. Something was strong enough to mess them up .. i was thinking if it has something to do with this "Driver Units: 15mm Rare-earth magnet transducer" thingie.

One of my instructors at the college used to work in the auto industry setting up robots and PLC controllers etc...
He tells us all the time about how much interference the welders put out. They can disrupt the data signals of the 24V lines between PLC controllers if the interference is strong enough. I'm guess this is what causing the music to cut out and/or distort. It shouldn't damage them, perheps it's just time for new earphone as those have worn out?
~Mike

The earcphones will only difer in volume not bass. If bass is difrent then it has to be the MP3 player The best way to shiled from EMP is a faraday cage.

Check the bass and balance settings.

and again

Well my mp3 player works just well with other earphones and those broken earphones are poor with other players too and they broke when i was welding with them at the first time so i thought it was the welding machine that broke em .. i will buy some Faraday cage and secure the player and try with the new earphones and hope for the best .. I just hope those new ones wont break. they are imported from Ireland and takes alot of time and money

Thx again to all

Try thickly wraping the mp3 player in tinfoil.This will make sort of a faraday cage to protect agenst EMP. It will work a lot better if you conect ground to the tin foil.Ground can be anything from the ground pin on mains outlets to grounded radiators to metal water taps.

Grounding a Faraday cage protects from static electricity, as well as electromagnetic fields. Without a ground, the emf protection is still in effect.

The EMP protection is also much better when grounded.Becse ungrounded the EMP can make the foil swing in voltage thid thrn trasmitis it furder but this field is much much weaker

Someone Electro said:
The EMP protection is also much better when grounded.Becse ungrounded the EMP can make the foil swing in voltage thid thrn trasmitis it furder but this field is much much weaker
Are you implying that every metal object in the region of the welder is going to become a transmitter unless it is grounded? I'm not sure that's true, but if it is, keep in mind that, for a ground to be effective at RF, it has to be low impedance. Are you suggesting that our OP have a big Litz wire ground braid from his earphones to a pipe somewhere, or are you just speaking theoretically?
BTW, Electro, I know that English is not your first language, but many of your spelling errors are just due to laziness, and they make your posts difficult to read. For example, "thid thrn". I concluded after studying this for a while that it was supposed to be "this then". Looking at the keyboard, I could see that you just hit some adjacent keys. If you would perform the simple task of previewing your posts, you could catch most of these errors and make them a little easier for the rest of us to read.

While I'm picking on you, I might as well point out that "furder" is spelled "further". :D

No not evry object is a transmiter.Its abosrbing a lot of the EMP but some one it is getting transmited firther a bit.Becuse the non grouded objects voltage will swing.The forward transmited EMP is a LOT smaler then the absorbed.

Wow

Dudes u lost me many times there but i got the main idea ...Faraday cage and longer earphone cord and i should be fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back