Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle PCB Layout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borisw37

My circuit has multiple repeating blocks of components which are identical. I can copy paste the block in schematic and that works great. I can't do the same in board layout.
Is there any way to avoid placing and routing identical blocks individually?

The only thing I can think of is making a block into a library part, but thats a pain since each block has ~dozen components.

Using Cadsoft Eagle 5.9 (full version)

Boris.

I've seen this question asked before and nobody has ever given a good way to do this. It's one of the big limitations of the Eagle board editor. If anyone knows a way to do this, I'm sure Boncuk will.

There is a way. Back up your work files first!
CadSoft Download/user programs: "duplicating_v45.zip" Get this.
After unziping you should have duplicate.scr, duplicated_board.scr, duplicated_sch.scr. These are "programs".
You also will get "parts" to place on the board and sch.
You will have a part "bottom-Left", "Top-Right". These parts need to be placed to make a box around the sch area you want duplicated. On the board you will also place these parts. Then there is a part (can't remember the name) that directs where to copy the block to.
There is a way to say howmany copies, don't remember how.
At this point you type duplicate.scr into the text window and see what happens.

It may take several trys to get it working. Please write down how to use this function and report back!

Hi Boris,

you can duplicate PCBs the same way as you duplicate parts of a schematic (or an entire schematic).

Copy the PCB first using the explorer and rename it not to be identical with the schematic name. Using the original name the schematic will also be loaded. With a loaded schematic you MUST apply changes to the schematic first for proper forwad-backward annotation.

Open - Board - Group - Cut - Paste.

Make sure to activate all used layers including layer42 (bRestrict) and layer45 (Holes) before copying.

The components will automatically be renumbered to avoid double (multiple) part names.

The original file name is ONE-SHOT, while the duplicate board has the file name ONE-SHOT1.

Take a look at the screenshots below.

Boncuk

P.S. When placing duplicate PCBs on one board observe the minimum distance required by PCB manufacturers for milling. The distance should not be less than 1.5mm.

Attachments

• ONESHOT1.gif
    ONESHOT1.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 539
  • ONESHOT.gif
    ONESHOT.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
@ronsimpson

I tried your suggestion. It works. Even typed up a nice write up with pictures but since I'm a new member I guess that post is still "UNDER REVIEW" been a couple days now.....

I get an error when i try to run the duplicate script. It cannot find the editsch.scr script.
I cannot find it anywhere
Please help
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back