Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle 6 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "cut" button can be restored, and the method is described in the help menu. The command line entry is: SET Cmd.Copy.ClassicEagleMode1. After that, close Eagle 6 and upon reopening, the cut button should be there.

So now, my only complaint is that I can't open that board that was done in 5.11 .

John

After using 6.0 to mess with a board made with 5.11, I accidentally closed it. Big warning banner came up to say that board and schematic were severed. Unfortunately, the warning comes after the fact. There is no turning back at that point. Cannot open board in 5.11 anymore. Be careful. I wonder whether boards made with 6.0 and posted on forums will be able to be opened by non-6.0 users?

That is the danger when a great free software product evolves into something you must pay for. CADSOFT will try their level best to get long time free users to upgrade to Version 6 knowing fully that once you have 6 you cannot use any previous versions of Eagle to open your projects. You must pay now.

That is why I have monitored CADSOFT. I have been expecting this for a while.

If I open version 5.6 and I am online.....CADSOFT wants to know if I want to upgrade to the latest version (now 6.1). I always click NO.

I believe my free 5.6 version should be good to go forever if I keep my computer away from version 6 ;).

Cheers,
TV Tech

I noticed version 6.1 is available today, but no documentation of the changes (maybe that documentation is in the download, which I haven't tried yet). The user forum over the past several weeks mentions a few bugs, maybe that is what got fixed.

@tvtech
Your point is valid about freeware. Farnell/Newark/Element14 is in the business to make money, which is necessary to stay in business. The problem I see with staying with version 5.xx or below is that as OS's change, those versions may not remain be compatible with the newest OS's. That has happened to me more than once with good programs that were not continued (Pagis Pro comes to mind as an example). From my perspective, I had a purchased version and the update was quite inexpensive. I opted to update rather than risk having to buy a wholly new version as Win8 or later takes over and XP becomes more dated. Of course, there is no guarantee that the total cost of the updates will be less than the cost of a new version when such incompatibilities arise.

John

Hi John,

never open a file which was created with an earlier version of Eagle and save it with the same name. It will be overwritten with other criteria than the preceeding.

Best bet: Copy the files and rename them. Save them in a different folder. You can only apply any changes to them using the version which they were saved with.

I can open all files created with version 3.55 and save them. When trying to open that file with an older version there will be an error message telling you Eagle is not upwards compatible.

Regards

Hans

@tvtech
Your point is valid about freeware. Farnell/Newark/Element14 is in the business to make money, which is necessary to stay in business. The problem I see with staying with version 5.xx or below is that as OS's change, those versions may not remain be compatible with the newest OS's. That has happened to me more than once with good programs that were not continued (Pagis Pro comes to mind as an example). From my perspective, I had a purchased version and the update was quite inexpensive. I opted to update rather than risk having to buy a wholly new version as Win8 or later takes over and XP becomes more dated. Of course, there is no guarantee that the total cost of the updates will be less than the cost of a new version when such incompatibilities arise.

John

Hi John

Newer OS don't worry me too much. I will use XP till the day I die. And I believe that will not be too soon ;)

I have used Vista, and 7 on other computers..all bells and whistles and bling.
As long as Microsoft keeps XP alive, I am good to go.

Just me hey:)

Cheers,
TV Tech

@Boncuk
I know that rule. It was a slip of the mouse, just like every time I hit the wrong button for "new posts." Anyway, I used my secret decoder ring and got the file restored. :D So now the world is back in synchrony.

John

@Boncuk
I know that rule. It was a slip of the mouse, just like every time I hit the wrong button for "new posts." Anyway, I used my secret decoder ring and got the file restored. :D So now the world is back in synchrony.

John

Hi John,

OK then. :)

Mice should be replaced at regular intervals to avoid slipping. They tend to get blind after a while even with a special mouse pad.

I use my magic crystal ball to solve problems sometimes. :eek:

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back