Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle 6 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I downloaded V6 a couple of days ago. Installation gave the option to run as freeware, as per previous versions. Still using V5.11 at the moment to complete my current project board. Don't know if I will actually go with V6. I have seen lots of positive feedback on the 'net with regard to Diptrace, so might give that a try instead. Eagle can be such hard work!

The real question is whether the freeware is time-limited. Several months ago, I raised a similar question. Time will tell.

It would be great to get feedback on V6 too.

John

Eagle may be work but I am thinking switching to a new app would be worse. And I like the idea that there is now some interplay between eagle and sketchup..

I was sort of stuck with eagle in that it had a great ULP to run the mill at school but I no longer have access to it so DipTrace is now an option.

Anyone tried to create an SMD pad using a polygon?

It should be helpful when using DPAK packages.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Just noticed that Eagle 6 can be had at the cadesoft website.

The lite option now shows for a 100x80mm routing area.

Is this the end of the free for personal use option or have I missed something ?

I am still using V5.6. More than good enough for me and it does not expire and was free. I will keep on using it forever and a day as the boards I design use lots of parts that are not in the Eagle Library anyway. And if they are, they have to be modified.

Cheers,
TV Tech

i tried Eagle couple of years ago but then found KiCad and never looked back

true, when you have working solution, why change.
but when i looked for EDA softare, free edition of Eagle was too limiting and full costed twice my budget so i'm glad to have found alternative.

I can see your point. I do mostly digital and can get a lot of smd parts on the area allowed by the free eagle. The only time I ran into real trouble was making a board with a bunch of relays so I made two smaller identical ones.

For me the real restriction is not being able use the design for commercial use. One of these days I need to get serious and make some green.

Last edited:
Anyone tried to create an SMD pad using a polygon?

It should be helpful when using DPAK packages.

Boncuk

Are you referring to Eagle 6 or to an earlier version? I just read the "what's new" for Eagle 6 and see that specially shaped pads should be possible, but I have not downloaded the new version yet.

If you try it, let us know. I think it will turn out to be a useful tool.

John

Hi John,

I'm just downloading Eagle 6.0.

I addressed an email to Cadsoft last month and suggested to offer the function of creating SMD pads of any shape.

They replied that this function will be available in the new version.

I'll do some sample footprints and post them here.

Hans

I got one of the purchased versions of 6.0 and have installed it. I tested a couple of autoroutings for known boards, and it seemed quite fast.

Haven't played with anything else, but wanted to give a precautionary note. I could not get it to download with Chrome. The download starts normally at 400 kB/s. After the 42.1 MB file is "finished," it does not disconnect. Transfer speed drops asymptotically over the course of 30 minutes -- I gave up waiting at 26 kB/s.

The download worked fine with Firefox.

John

Hi John,

I tried out the latest Eagle version (6.0) and I must note, that nothing much has changed.

I didn't want to mess up any existing library and just tried to copy the existing package of the DPAK.

What a surprise! The copy function has completely been removed! (Replace a good feature with a new one and forget about the old one?)

I didn't try to create a completely new package after that frustrating experience, but what I saw with just a few mouse clicks tells me that this version is the worst ever.

There is still no possibility to create SMD pads using the polygon function as I suggested to CadSoft.

A DPAK has a small square underneath its body and a wider strip on top to solder the entire width of the tab to the PCB. Look at the package as provided by Cadsoft. (SMD-special, package DPAK)

It does not meet manufacturer's requirements for adequate soldering.

All in all: Eagle 6.0 has no advantage over previous versions and is not worth investing a Cent!

Boncuk

Last edited:
Post deleted. Forgot my Eagle version.

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
I hadn't even tried it or noticed the changes. I was just happy to get it installed. I am disappointed the previous copy method (cut & paste) has been removed as an icon and replaced with the copy/duplicate function (right click for groups). The old "cut" is still available from the command line.

The main reason I got V6.0 was the special pads feature that is advertised. I will be disappointed if that doesn't work. I guess there are no refunds, but at least Lourdes (Cadsoft contact in the USA)was pleasant enough.

John

Hi John,

I tried out the latest Eagle version (6.0) and I must note, that nothing much has changed.

I didn't want to mess up any existing library and just tried to copy the existing package of the DPAK.

What a surprise! The copy function has completely been removed! (Replace a good feature with a new one and forget about the old one?)

I didn't try to create a completely new package after that frustrating experience, but what I saw with just a few mouse clicks tells me that this version is the worst ever.

There is still no possibility to create SMD pads using the polygon function as I suggested to CadSoft.

A DPAK has a small square underneath its body and a wider strip on top to solder the entire width of the tab to the PCB. Look at the package as provided by Cadsoft. (SMD-special, package DPAK)

It does not meet manufacturer's requirements for adequate soldering.

All in all: Eagle 6.0 has no advantage over previous versions and is not worth investing a Cent!

Boncuk

That is why I am sticking with free Eagle 5.6. Good enough for me and my needs.

Cheers,
TV Tech

That is why I am sticking with free Eagle 5.6. Good enough for me and my needs.

Cheers,
TV Tech

:eek: I'm sticking with version 3.55. It was the best ever published and I purchased the professional version with up to 99 sheets for schematics and 800X800mm max board size with up to 16 layers.

Since I have made it a habit to set junction dots right away, normally before I connect another net to an existing one I do not miss that feature (automatic insertion of junction dots) much.

The latest version (professional) offers a board size of 4X4m. Who want's to build a PCB of the size of a bed room?

Regards

Boncuk

Well, I played with 6.0 for more than an hour. The dimension tool is nice, but clunky and primitive. It displays to the bottom layer. In view layers, there is no separate layer for it, so once you draw to it, it seems you are stuck with it. The only option is to delete each dimension. Positioning the values (e.g., inside or outside the lines) apparently can't be done.

Correction: I needed another cup of coffee. Actually, the dimension tool came up in bottom layer, but can be changed to any layer (such as 47 = 'measures'), so that criticism is invalid. It works just like the text tool in that regard.

After using 6.0 to mess with a board made with 5.11, I accidentally closed it. Big warning banner came up to say that board and schematic were severed. Unfortunately, the warning comes after the fact. There is no turning back at that point. Cannot open board in 5.11 anymore. Be careful. I wonder whether boards made with 6.0 and posted on forums will be able to be opened by non-6.0 users? Apparently, one cannot save as a previous version like many word processors allow. That is a real pain now that I have one board I cannot view with any other version.

Haven't played with creating special pads yet. Aside from what that might allow, I am not impressed so far.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back