Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dust sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crush24

im doing a project now..an automatic vacuum cleaner...can anyone help me on this?ho can i make a dust sensor using PIC16F84A...thanks a lot..:):)

A PIC is more used for prosesing the signal that a sensor gives

the sensor in general is an analoge device

what are the conditions of your project is it something that if there is to many partikeles is floating in the room the room will be refreshed with filtered air

you have to give more details

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
best way to keep a room dust free is to over pressure it

so the only thing you need is a fan (capacity have to be calculated on the room size and openings (doors windows leakage)) that blows filtered air in the room

Robert-Jan

best way to keep a room dust free is to over pressure it

so the only thing you need is a fan (capacity have to be calculated on the room size and openings (doors windows leakage)) that blows filtered air in the room

Robert-Jan

how can it detect a dust?

I have an idea. See image.

When there is heavy dust, the air suctioned through the vacuum tube will be cloudy, hence IRTX light will produce less voltage at IRdetect.

As Dust is removed, more IRTX light will be detected.

What do ya think?

Attachments

• dustdet1.jpg
    dustdet1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
the way Mikebits point out would also be my aproach but still a lot of tweaking involved to get something sensible working

in my opinion its easyer and probably cheaper to avoid getting dust in the first place

both solutions you need a fan and the control of a over pressurized room is far simpler to achieve

Robert-Jan

When there is heavy dust, the air suctioned through the vacuum tube will be cloudy, hence IRTX light will produce less voltage at IRdetect.

What do ya think?

I've just been doing a bit of googling on dust detectors. I think your general idea is more or less what many systems are based on. Then again, almost everything I've found so far is for use in engines, spacecraft, or reactors.

@crash24: Where is the dust which needs to be detected? On the floor, in the air, on the floor a metre away from the robot. . .?

What will the robot use the detector for?

Torben

What do ya think?[/QUOTE

hmm...i'll try..

I suspect this for a school project or something. Fact of the matter is, this is not something new as my vacuum cleaner has an led that lights when dust is present. There are also automated robotic cleaners out on the market.

But who am I to say not go for it. Sounds like a good class project :)

Last edited:
I've just been doing a bit of googling on dust detectors. I think your general idea is more or less what many systems are based on. Then again, almost everything I've found so far is for use in engines, spacecraft, or reactors.

@crash24: Where is the dust which needs to be detected? On the floor, in the air, on the floor a metre away from the robot. . .?

What will the robot use the detector for?

Torben
the robot will detect a dust on the floor

I suspect this for a school project or something. Fact of the matter is, this is not something new as my vacuum cleaner has an led the lights when dust is present. There are also automated robotic cleaners out on the market.

Oh, I know. :) There's just a lot more in the top hits for "dust detector" on the higher-end stuff. Haven't really refined my terms yet.

Does your vacuum cleaner LED indicate when it senses dust on the floor, or in the tube, or what?

Torben

I suspect this for a school project or something. Fact of the matter is, this is not something new as my vacuum cleaner has an led that lights when dust is present. There are also automated robotic cleaners out on the market.

thanks..its a class project..

Oh, I know. :) There's just a lot more in the top hits for "dust detector" on the higher-end stuff. Haven't really refined my terms yet.

Does your vacuum cleaner LED indicate when it senses dust on the floor, or in the tube, or what?

Torben
thre is an indicator when it senses dust and stops automatically when there is no dust..

the robot will detect a dust on the floor

On the floor directly under the robot? Then perhaps the link I posted on your other thread will help: it's for detecting dust on a surface beneath the sensor. It should be possible to modify for your uses, depending on the kind of surface you'll be on and what amount of dust you want to detect.

It's more or less the same idea that Mike posted, but instead of detecting the dust in a tube it does it by bouncing the light off the floor and seeing how much is reflected. More light reflected means less dust.

Torben

[Edit: Note that neither I nor the author (apparently) have actually built the circuit in that link. :) ]

Last edited:
lol Torben. I am sure if you had the thing the answer would already be known. Me, well my wife would kick me into my next life if I cracked the thing open. hehe
All I know is an LED lights when there is a lot of dust... :)

thanks..its a class project..

Sounds like a good idea. You will find a lot of helpful folks here, only do not ask someone to design something for you as we do not condone doing homework, as the whole idea is for you to learn:)

When you do get stuck on a design issue, then by all means ask.

to detect dust on the floor the best way is to have a light beam send in a sertain angle and picked up by the IR TX sensor

if there is dust there will be no reflection or in a different angle and out shouting the sensor

the sensor should be put fairly close to the ground the beam must be very narrow also

still you will have funny results as colors and no level surfaces

so there are quite some conditions that have to be right in order to make it work

Robert-Jan

On the floor directly under the robot? Then perhaps the link I posted on your other thread will help: it's for detecting dust on a surface beneath the sensor. It should be possible to modify for your uses, depending on the kind of surface you'll be on and what amount of dust you want to detect.

It's more or less the same idea that Mike posted, but instead of detecting the dust in a tube it does it by bouncing the light off the floor and seeing how much is reflected. More light reflected means less dust.

Torben

[Edit: Note that neither I nor the author (apparently) have actually built the circuit in that link. :) ]

whoaaa..yes!!!thats it..will detect directly under the robot..i will try to build the circuit..thanks

whoaaa..yes!!!thats it..will detect directly under the robot..i will try to build the circuit..thanks

Good luck! If you run into any problems just ask and someone will surely be able to help you out. I'm kind of interested in that circuit now too.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back