Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dumping massive data to a SST29EE020 EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I need to dump a big amount of data into two EEPROMs SST29EE020.

My two questions:

a) Not having a programmer available, using a PIC to burn the data, is it the only way? Any other alternatives? Besides my testing to learn how to use them, never programmed any external EPROM / EEPROM.

b) The data going into the EEPROMs I will generate, most probably, with Excel.

I know I did in the past but for the life of me I can't recall how I managed to move it inside the PIC separated by commas as required to be saved as data, like this:

DB 233, 244, 28,87, 98

Or was ot Notepad with tables saved in a RTF or .txt file?

I intend to express values in decimal.

Just a word: this application is just to complete a project and I would like a "sure fire" procedure to avoid experimenting. Please help me on this.

Gracias to anyone with concrete ideas.

I had to do something similar a while back but using a 27C080 which has the same pinout. I did a PCB with a 16F887 and MAX232 etc (see image). I can post a copy of the project if you like. I also use Excel to make tables etc - see VBA in attached sheet. I just copy and past into an asm file.

BTW, the circuit never got built so isn't proven but is pretty straight forward.

Mike.

Attachments

• MakeTable.zip
    61.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Prog.png
    Prog.png
    34 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
What if using a programmer instead?

Hola Pommie,

Thanks for your reply. Luckily, a friend offered to burn the EEPROMS. Good as it looks, the problem now is to pass data / addresses to him. He said "binary" or "hex Intel format"

This last I basically understand it but how could I go from the Excel file where I will generate the decimal values I need (both EEPROMs will be used in more than 80% of the capacity) to the file he needs to burn into them?

Nothing too "mannual" is acceptable here. Boring and prone to error, isn't it?

Honestly I think I understand all what Iread but when it comes to actually produce the file in any of both formats I do not know how to start and how to follow.

Any advantage in using one of them in particular?

I am using Excel to produce the data in decimal notation.

Last edited:
If you can post an example of the data then it would be easy to turn it into an asm file that MPLAB can turn into a hex file.

Mike.

My data

I plan to burn something like this: (all decimal notation)

At address 0004 => 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

At address 1264 => 2, 3, 20, 21

At address 2010 => 255, 254, 253

and so on...

See the attached excel sheet. Is this what you mean? It takes the data on the left and converts it to the asm on the right (see image).

At the end of the code (press alt-F11 to view) there's 4 commented lines that will write an asm file out.

Mike.

Attachments

• xls.png
    xls.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 303
  • generate.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 235
Got my hex in Intel format.

Gracias Mike. With your VB + Excel and MPLAB I got the data in Intel format.

Just a clerical detail: I need to move the white panel in the Excel file (the one showing the file being generated). It is hiding part of the cells I am typing in. How could I move it?

With your help, things were much easier than what I feared!! Gracias again.:)

To move the panel,

Right click on the toolbar and turn on the Visual Basic toolbar,
On the VB toolbar click on the icon with a set square and pencil (design mode),
Move the text box,
Click on the set square again to make excel normal again.

HTH

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back