Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duck antenna or chip antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

Hi,

I'm trying to get some Nordic transceiver module from Sparkfun, but I'm not sure which one is better choice. These are my options:
1. Transceiver nRF24L01 Module with RP-SMA with this antenna.
2. Transceiver nRF24L01+ Module with Chip Antenna

I know that + version gives more range but it is with chip antenna.

Also, I found that there're some modules from **broken link removed** also use nRF24L01+. Has anyone used their module before?

Thanks

The answer depends on what is important to you. The nRF24L01+ is an improvement over the nRF24L01 in its ability to co-exist with other 2.4GHz signals plus it offers an addtional option of a lower data rate, 250Kbps, which allows better sensitivity and thus longer range.

If you choose to use the chip antenna version, you must orient the board identically at each end for maximum range. The chip is claimed to have a gain of 0.8 dBi and when used on this board, it is probably operating close to its optimum capability, so we shall assume it has a gain of 0 dBi. So, this board has a maximum link budget available of 94 dB when operated at 250Kbps or 85 dB when operated at 1Mbps.

The other board does not have the 250kbps option, but you can maximize range by using the Large Duck from Sparkfun, which claims +5dBi gain. So the link budget available in this case is 90 dB at 1Mbps.

Thus, the chip antenna board has an advantage of 4 dB but only at 250Kbps. At 1Mbps the board using external duck antenna has the advantage by about 5 dB. It also allows easier experimentation with other antennas later on.

My suggestion is to call Sparkfun and ask them to supply the board with external connector but populated with the newer + version of the IC. This is the ideal solution. Perhaps they already plan to offer this. Give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back