Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi,

What the 'duality' means in electronics?
How can I find out what components are dual and why they are so?

I know that voltage/ current, cap/ inductor, charge /flux are dual but why?

Duality in this context refers to relationships. No relationship can exist without two (thus dual) participants in interraction.

Duality is like a dance with one partner leading the other, when the lead moves left, the partner moves to her right. When he steps forward, she steps back.

It is the same with these electronic duality relationships. Voltage has a relationship with current. Actually, voltage and current exist in a three way relationship with resistance...thus Ohm's law. Two's company but three's a crowd, right? LOL

Other concepts like inductance, capacitance...impedance and admittance, reluctance and permeance etc all have what appears as opposing relationships.

I think these concepts are all kind of linked to the dual relationship between a magnetic field and an electric field from which the concept of duality comes from.

Well, I think I said so (about resistance) in a manner of speaking in my post. But that was tongue in cheek (this is an expression to mean a joke of sorts).
I'm not sure if English is your first language, so excuse me for using English expressions!

Anyhow, the point about resistance. Think about the dancers on the dance floor again, in their "duality" dancing upon the dance floor. In order to dance, they need a floor upon which stand. Without a floor, the dancing could get quite difficult!

Think of resistance as the dance floor, with voltage and current doing the "dance". The floor is necessary for the dance to occur, but the dancers aren't dancing with the floor, they are dancing with each other. The floor is just a "condition" that effects the dance or permits it.

So in this way, the duality is occuring between voltage and current.

I enjoy using metaphors when I describe things. I hope it makes it easier to understand.

Thanks Man,
But I need a better view to it, I thought Its possible to explain it by volatge and current and series and parallel?

Electronman, you're asking very vague imprecise questions without any real answers. We can't answer you questions because you're not asking question that make sense. You need to clarify what is confusing you.

Electronman, you're asking very vague imprecise questions without any real answers. We can't answer you questions because you're not asking question that make sense. You need to clarify what is confusing you.

I just ask what I am not able to understand.

Duality is a concept which students read in university, but I am not able to find out what's the clue or sequence of things which makes them dual? Voltage inside an circuit and current inside the other, or...

Are you thinking that Duality in electronics branch is a vague consept?!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back