Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Power supply circuit needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melfior_Ra

Hi all.
I need a circuit diagram of a dual variable power supply with short circuit protection.

I need an output current of max. 2.5 A. The input voltage is around of +/-23 v after rectifier and smoothing capacitor.

Thank you In advance.

PS : A PCB it will be nice :p

Is the ±23V input voltage two separate voltages measured to ground? You need separate voltages for a dual supply.

yes they are separate .I have a transformer with mid tap point, and between tap point and the other two wires i meassure around 18V ac which means around 23 v dc after filtering .
My english it is not so well so i will post a picture of the transformer:

Attachments

• trans63.gif
    trans63.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 185
Here's a simple circuit but it's only good for about 1.5A. You could increase the current by substituting a LT1033 negative regulator and a LM350 positive regulator to replace those shown. The will both need to be on good heat sinks.

Thank you.
I also found a circuit with op amps for positive side and i adapted for negative side. I am not sure if LM358 is suitable for this. I will attach the circuit, and please let me know your opinion.
Thank you

Attachments

• dual.psu.png
    dual.psu.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 206
If you look at the LM317 regulator data sheet, near the back where the applications are, you will see how to add a pass transistor(s) to the 317 to get higher output current. This is magnitudes simpler than the circuit you found and will probably work better too.
There is a negative regulator that is the 317's mate.

A negative regulator is 337. I know about that and i will probably build a psu with those two. But I was asking if the circuit that i posted is good and if it will work in real world.

From a cursory look it would appear that the circuit you posted would work, but of course it's has significantly more parts then the supplies using IC regulators.

Yes I know, but it is for training and for adding some experience after 2 years of self learning. I have already build a regulator with 317 and 337 and I had an unpleased surprise : I bought 2 LM337 from the same place but after building and testing the circuit, the voltage reference of those two was 0.7V instead of 1.25. Yesterday i bought another one frome another store and now the reference is 1.12V which I think is not perfect but at least is not 0.7V. Now, as I said I want to build this circuit and see how it works.
Thank you again for everything.

Sounds like you need a more reputable supplier. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back