Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual 12v dc motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy549

quick question guys, I two identical motors and I want them to run at the same time and at the same speed. Can I use one speed controller to control both? they are 5 amp motors.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not if their shafts are not connected together. Differences in load and slight differences in motor characteristics will always cause one to run at a different speed from the other with the same input voltage.

what if I used 2 speed controllers. Also its a gear motor, but I don't think that matters

Last edited:
The second speed controller, though it might allow you to get the speeds close, if there in any changes in the loads, just adds in one more variable. :(

Ken

what if I used 2 speed controllers.

Depends on the type of controller. Some controllers are open-loop speed control, in which case you can get the two speeds close, but not exact.

Is there a digital tachometer on the motors? If the controllers are closed-loop speed control, then you can get them turning the same speed.

You could also run one open-loop, and then build a controller that "slaves" the second motor to the first.

So what are you driving That needs two motors?

If both motors are identical and have the shafts coupled together and are fed by the same power source they will act just like a 10 amp motor instead of a 5 amp motor.

I have seen industrial conveyors and process equipment do this with matched pairs of motors for loads that require a high capacity power source only part of the time. At light loads one motor is shut off and just free wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back