Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSpic compiler and programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Anyone know of a good programmer for the DSPic series?
Also, Is there a C compiler available? (I havent had any experience programming assembly as of yet.)
I'm looking to use the dsPIC30F3011.

Edit:
I found this link here: **broken link removed**
Looks like I'll have to use the 4011. I think I ordered one with my last batch of samples.
Also, with this bootloader I can just directly load my compiled programs to the DSPic via serial port?
Now...I still have the problem of finding a C compiler and getting the bootloader onto the DSPIC. I wish this stuff wasnt so confusing, is there like a standard programmer that Microchip uses (and updates)?

Hmmm...the software looks pretty good, but that ICD2 thingy is looking alittle expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative?

coolness. but I still dont have a way to program the original PIC used in that programmer.
I do have some 877A's that are loaded with a bootloader. Would one of those work? Also, The bootloader thats on there (from my microcontrollers class) was run at 10MHz. I dont know if its capable of running at 20Mhz.

Any blank 16F876/876A/877/877A PIC will work. It has to be programmed with a special bootloader (MPLAB-ICD2 specific). This is not a big problem, you can use **broken link removed** very simple circuit to program the PIC with bootloader. (That programmer is a very cruel thingy, but it will be fine if you just need to program that PIC once or twice.... ). I think Stolz's site is pretty self explanatory.

Hi Jeff,

Your bootloader installed 877A's won't work... You need to install the Microchip ICD2 bootloader with a conventional programmer... After that, MPLAB downloads the appropriate firmware into the 877A each time you change projects and target devices in MPLAB...

I would be happy to post you an 876A or 877A with ICD2 bootloader code installed if you think you'd like to try building one (my home brew serial ICD2 clone pictured below)...

Good luck... Happy Holidays... Regards, Mike

Attachments

• icd2_clone__2_197.jpg
    icd2_clone__2_197.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,834
So where do I find this ICD2 specific bootloader?
I looked all over in those links and cant seem to find it.

Just tell us which PIC are you gonna use, A or non-A version and we will upload it for you. (There are two bootloader versions).

I've got a 16f877A.

Hi Jeff,

Here's the 'A' version bootloader for 16F876A or 16F877A... Just rename the file using a '.hex' file name extension instead of the '.txt' file name extension (can't upload '.hex' file types)...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• icd2_bootloader_a_138.txt
    3 KB · Views: 382
sweet. Hopefully I can get all of this stuff taken care of today.
When I go to program that PIC with the bootloader using that cheepo programmer, do I need to have my oscillator connected to it?

Also, for my ICD2 clone, is it very important that I have an exact 13V source for VPP?

Hi,

"Do I need to have my oscillator connected to it? "
No, program it without oscilator connected.

"Also, for my ICD2 clone, is it very important that I have an exact 13V source for VPP?"
Well, it's not that important. But try to be as close as possible.

I guess there're different types of ICD clones.Mine uses the MAX232's voltage booster to provide the system with Vpp,so there's no need to take care of Vpp any more.Which version of ICD2 did you choose,Jeff?

Alex_rcpilot said:
I guess there're different types of ICD clones.Mine uses the MAX232's voltage booster to provide the system with Vpp,so there's no need to take care of Vpp any more.Which version of ICD2 did you choose,Jeff?

What VPP voltage did you end up with?

Regards, Mike

Mike said:
What VPP voltage did you end up with?

Regards, Mike
Hi Mike,the result is here:

Target Vdd 5.00V
Target Vpp 13.42V
MPLAB ICD 2Vpp 13.58V

Ah!I got it.Here's the schematic I got from the guy who designed the ICD2 clone I have in hand.The Vpp is generated by a step-up booster.I don't know whether there's any similar design over the web.

Regards, Alex

Attachments

• vpp.jpg
    vpp.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,258
Thanks Alex,

That's a pretty clever circuit and would be great for a single voltage supply...

Happy Holidays... Regards, Mike

Mike said:
Thanks Alex,

That's a pretty clever circuit and would be great for a single voltage supply...

Happy Holidays... Regards, Mike
:) You're welcome.And I hope this will help Jeff.

BTW,when does the college winter break start in the U.S please? :wink:

Cool, now I dont have to hunt down a transformer that could give me the 13V.

I think alot of colleges were done last week, which is when I finished up.
Came out with a 3.16 for the semester (which consisted of 19 credits of senior level EE courses). Which is pretty good, considering that I worked 20+ hours every week, and spent time with my woman as well.

so for that crappy programmer, how do I configure it? Which oscillator do I choose? WDT? ect..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back