Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DS2715 NI-MH Charge Controller Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhoj4

Hello!
I am attempting to design a system that charges a 6 cell 1800 mAh NIMH R/C car battery wirelessly with the DS2715 charge controller by Maxim. I am trying to modify their linear charging design for a 6 cell battery.

In the data sheet they specify the circuit for charging a 3 cell pack (in series) linearly (with a 6 V supply), and I have built the circuit accordingly. The only info in the data sheet regarding changing the cell count is the voltage divider on the Vbat pin for detecting a single cell's voltage. I assume that for charging 6 cells I would double the supply voltage for 12 volts? I know that the IRF can handle this change but am unsure about the other components and do not want to damage the IC.

When I supply the circuit with 6 Volts and use the original resistive divider for 3 cells, the LED is off (as it is supposed to be with no battery connected). But, when I use the 6 cell resistive divider and supply 6 V the LED flashes at 4 Hz indicating that there was a fault. I am assuming this is because the circuit really does need 12 V. I have a LED that is suited for 12 V on the way but wanted to see if anyone has used this IC for a similar design and could offer some insight.

I have contacted Maxim for support but they have not gotten back with me yet. Thanks in advance.

Part link: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/battery-management/DS2715.html
Datasheet: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2715.pdf

Last edited:
The datasheet states 1 to 10 cells so there shouldn't be a problem. You say you've ordered an LED suitable for 12V but all you need to do is increase the series resistor from 470 to 1.2k.

Mike.

But, when I use the 6 cell resistive divider and supply 6 V the LED flashes at 4 Hz indicating that there was a fault. I am assuming this is because the circuit really does need 12 V.
Of course.
You can't charge a 9V battery with 6V (unless you have a boost converter, which this isn't).

Thank you, my circuit does work as intended and I did not fry the chip. Thank you for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back